Spiders as Food

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
The day before yesterday I fed my girlfriend's fish a spider that was in her house. A young blue rainbowfish grabbed it and tried eating it but had trouble. Then another young blue rainbow got it and finished the job. I figured it was a pretty good meal for the fish. What do you think? Could it possibly be venomous or anything else to worry about? I live in Toronto and didn't think about anything like that until after.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Most are fine. Just make sure the insect hasn't been exposed to any pesticides. I probably wouldn't risk feeding the fish black widows, but then, I happen to like spiders and save them from my cats, so wouldn't feed any of them to the fish. ;)

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Thanks OG I knew you would be first to respond to this thread ;)

"To give you some idea of their natural diet, a stomach analyses taken from a sample of rainbowfishes showed that their diet consisted of 40% terrestrial insects, 37% small aquatic crustaceans, 18% aquatic insects and 5% algae, pollen, seeds and miscellaneous organic matter."
http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Feeding.htm

Rainbowfish seem to eat all kind of insects in the wild. I don't even think I have black widows around here. I'm just going to be feeding small to medium spiders I find around the house. I can't wait for my ornates to get bigger so I can throw them some too.

mome rath

splatter me with mustard
Mar 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Now now, let's not confuse spiders with insects... :rolleyes:

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Wouldn't you think spiders would fall into the "terrestrial insects" category? I'm not sure that if they were doing a stomach analysis you would be able to differentiate between insects and arachnids. Surely they must eat spiders and other meaty foods in the wild but you don't see an "other animals" category there do you?

Thanks for the helpful post though. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

roliva

Dovii/Umbee Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
Lehigh Valley, PA
Originally posted by OrionGirl
but then, I happen to like spiders and save them from my cats, so wouldn't feed any of them to the fish. ;)

OrionGirl,
I am the same way. I love spiders and if I see one in the house, I'll pick it up and put it outside..weird huh!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Glad I'm not the only one. :D I leave spiders on my ceilings, but move the ones that come down to the floor so the cats don't get them. My sister has had a pet black widow for many years--she rescued the first one from her cat, and has enjoyed the spiders a lot. They are neat critters!

roliva

Dovii/Umbee Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
Lehigh Valley, PA
That's funny. If they're on the first or second floor ceilings, I have to take them outside because my wife is scared to death of them. But I'll leave them in my basement because she hardly goes down there!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store