Brown Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What size tank, and what is in it? The hillstream loaches come from cool, fast flowing streams, and tend to suffer in warm, tropical tanks--both from the higher temp and lower oxygen levels that come with warmer water. I don't think they have a reputation for eating algae, either.

If this is a new tank, manual cleaning is probably best for now. If the diatom algae continues to be a problem after the tank has been established for few months, then a trio of otos would help clean it up.

alphabetta

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
Kansas
Visit site
Ive got 3 otos in my tank now, its about a month old, not including cycling time. They do a good job with brown algae. The also do a good job keeping algae off the glass which I was told they would not do.
They are really fun to watch too.

carttman

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Louisiana
Visit site
My tank size is 29 gallons. It houses 11 Cardinal tetras and one common pleco. My tank has been running for almost seven months now. It is there is certain species of otos that you could recommend. I also plan on getting some ghost shrimp in the next couple of days. I have also read this certain species of snails can help control algae problems. It is this true?

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
No more Pleco's for you! :p

The one you have right now is too much for a 29 gallon aquarium. Common Plecos get HUGE and need 55+ gallons. Thats probably some of the reason you are getting the brown algae in the first place. Brown 'algae' really isnt algae to begin with, its a diatom.

Heres a link to more info about it...
ABC's of LOG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store