Flagfish questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cpn_aaron

recovering fishaholic
Mar 3, 2004
Melbourne, FL
Visit site
I have heard flagfish eat hair algae, and that I have a fair amount of in my planted tank. My LFS has them on sale for 6 for $5, so I was thinking of picking up 6-12 for my 55 gal planted. They would be a solution until my CO2 unit and lights have finally allowed my plants to outcompete the hair algae. Been a struggle, but I think some of these guys could help put my algae out of business.

IndianaSam

AC Members
Mar 13, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
I picked up 2 of these guys about 2 weeks ago to deal with my hair algae.

To be quite honest, they haven't done a good job. My otos seem more interested in the hair algae than the FF.

Also the larger FF harrassed the heck out of the smaller one and eventually the smaller guy died. Now the remaining fish is bothering everyone else in the tank. I came home today to see that almost all the fish have nipped fins.

I think I'm gonna have to get rid of him....

cpn_aaron

recovering fishaholic
Mar 3, 2004
Melbourne, FL
Visit site
ah, well I guess it would be better for another fish then. Otos are too small for my tank. The flagfish were temporary only because they were cheqap and my other fish would out grow them and make a meal of them. My pickeral is only 3 months away from being able to eat one of them. Oh well. I guess I'll ask other people on teh catfish and bottom feeders section for hair algae ideas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store