Any Breeders Out There?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dwall174

AC Members
Oct 14, 2003
Southeastern Mi
Visit site
I’m planing to set up a fish room in my basement to start breeding Show Quality Fancy Guppies & I need some ideas as far as heating & filtration? I had originally figured on a central filter system that would also incorporate an UV Sterilizer to help prevent disease. However from what I have read lately it seems that most breeders just heat their fish room & use individual box or sponge filters in each tank? I have also seen some of the drip style systems that provide a constant water replacement? Which system would be the easiest to maintain & what are the pros & cons of each as far as breeding goes?

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
heat the entire room if you can will be easier that way and probably more efficient if you have a lot of tanks.

i would go sponge filters with bare bottoms. the sponges will provide really good bio filtration and will be easiest to clean and the barebottom will make maintence easy too. every little bit helps when you dealing with that many tanks. you will need a lot for show quality fish. tanks for breeding, a lot more tanks for fry growout and you will have to separate the sexes to control the fishes bloodlines. basically you are going to be dealing with a lot of fish unless you are just starying off with 2-3 trios. so just keep it simple.

got_nailed

AC Members
Mar 26, 2004
roanoke, va
Visit site
I bread Tetras fish for 4 of my LFS. I have 5 55 gallon tanks using a 75 gallon sump for my fish that I will bread. I use 20 longs for the breading. I move them to 55 gallon grow out tanks (20 of them) that has a 100 gallon sump. All my sumps do use UV on a portion of the water going through the sumps. For the final Q tanks I use 20 highs that use sponge filters and the owners come and get them on Fridays, they buy the fish by the tank. I don’t make but about $500 a month by the time I pay the power bill (I have well water) and get new stuff.

I would go with canisters on the large tanks and sponges on the smaller tanks. I think that heating the room is the best but can be hard to keep a room from 78 to 80.* I guess you’re not looking at about 10 to 15 tanks to start with so heating each tank will be the best. I would try to find a large water holding tank around ½ as much water you are planning to use in a week. This way you can “air off” your water. Most of the time this will stop the use of some chemicals be added to your water.

Good luck with your Guppies and remember you will have top do something with all that aren’t up to your likeing and I guess send them to your LFS. I would get to be good friends with them.

I don’t count any of these tanks as my pet fish, but there part of my living now and with all the tanks I have it’s going to be too hard to stop.

dwall174

AC Members
Oct 14, 2003
Southeastern Mi
Visit site
Here’s a drawing of what I’m looking at! There will be 18 tanks to start with, So heating each tank would not be an option. As for the replacement water I have a 75 GPD reverse osmosis unit that I use for a 140 gal. reef system. So there shouldn’t be any problem with the water. My main question is will a central filtration system with an UV unit prevent future disease?

I also thought of setting up a continuous drip system however if I can’t find a good way to heat the whole room I’m not sure of how to heat all the tanks?

guppy room.jpg

dwall174

AC Members
Oct 14, 2003
Southeastern Mi
Visit site
Originally posted by blitzen25bm
heat the entire room if you can will be easier that way and probably more efficient if you have a lot of tanks.
Any ideas on a permanent style heater that will handle the extra moisture & humidity?
This on from McMaster-Carr part # 1991k66 looks pretty good being that It's Stanless Steel it shouldn't rust.

got_nailed

AC Members
Mar 26, 2004
roanoke, va
Visit site
I heat my tanks. My basement is to big to heat and I was talking to a few people and they couldn’t tell me how to keep it with in 5* without running up the power bill so I went with each tank. There is a room heater that will come on if the room gets to cold but it’s set about 5* below the tank temp.

Ok this is just a brain storm, so read with caution.
If you heated a 55 gallon trash can of water to 81*. Use a pump to run water thought hoses to the tanks where the hose would dip into each tank and heat the tank. The water would end up back into the trash can where it would go again.

Hmm that though needs a lot of work.

edit
Well I have done more thinking on this.

If you have a 55 gallon can that’s heated and you pump the heated water through tubing. If you put a loop of tubing in each tank, depending on how thick the tubing is and the difference of water temp it could raise the temp of the tanks but I think it would not be efficient.

Last edited:

dwall174

AC Members
Oct 14, 2003
Southeastern Mi
Visit site
Well the system I’m thinking of going with would have a storage tank with a heater in it that would slowly continuos drip into the tanks but then just overflow through a bulkhead to a floor drain. However as you mentioned it probably would be hard to keep a constant temp. That’s why I’m figuring on insulating the cement walls & inclosing the room & heating it! I would prefer not heating the room so that it’s more comfortable to work in, Not to mention the extra cost to heat it.

dwall174

AC Members
Oct 14, 2003
Southeastern Mi
Visit site
I would be able to hold the temp. steady in the storage tank! I just figure that the fact that the drip rates will be slow (about 2 GPD) for each of the ten gallon fry grow-out tanks, That it would be hard to regulate the temp just by the drip rate?

Looks like I need to set-up some practice tanks, & see what happens?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store