fish mates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crystalmeth

Registered Member
Apr 24, 2004
Visit site
I have 5 painted tetras, a bala shark, 2 neons and a pleko in a 29 gallon tank. What other kind of fish would be okay to put in my tank, I'd like a new fish. Thanks for any suggestions.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Well, bala sharks get too big for your tank, so no more unless you return them to the fish store.

How long has the tank been set up? It sounds like it's fairly new, which means you will probably see an ammonia spike soon. Ammonia is toxic to fish, so that isn't very cool :).

I would suggest you read up on cycling in the fish newbie forum, I believe it's in the archive sticky section.

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
both the bala sharks and pleco will get too big for that tank, both get around a foot long so I hope you're planning a larger tank soon or have a place for them to go (friend, or back to LFS). As far as tankmates, I'm not real sure with bala sharks. I don't think they'll bother anything since they're basically a silver/black goldfish to an extent. Other tetras or livebearers would be good with them and some cory catfish would be good for bottom feeders too. kyle

crystalmeth

Registered Member
Apr 24, 2004
Visit site
I've had my fish tank for about 2 years now. My bala is like 4 inches long and the pleko is like 3 maybe 4 inches. I do know that they get to be very large but the people at the pet store have been telling me that my 29 gallon tank is fine.

At one point we had 7 tetras, my bala & plecko and 4 red tail sharks. Poor red tails died a while back cuz they were getting stuck to the filter til we put a sponge over the filter. Now if any fishes get stuck, they can swim off the sponge, fortunately that hasnt happened!

JesseJ

You should be dancin'
Jan 22, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
Balas and plecs will outgrow your tank. Neons like to be in bigger groups (6+). Red Tail Sharks are very aggressive to their own species. Once the start reaching adult size they will kill each other until only 1 is left.

As to new additions I would go with smaller fish. Another small school of tetras. Some of the smaller livebearers would work. But my personal choice would be a group of 3-4 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish. They are small, docile, and beatiful.

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Melanotaenia.htm

Click on M. Praecox to the left after the link to see a really good pic of the Dwarf Neon.

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
If they were stuck to the filter they were already dead or allmost dead even a 1/4" baby RTS could out swim any filter on a 29g.
And their are fish you could add but not any large ones as your maxed out on them.
BTW
welcome to AC but we are G rated around here and your name just doent seem apropriate on these boards.
In no way trying to be un friendly or rude but a name change might be in order.

jujubee

AC Members
Apr 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
Originally posted by somefinnfishy
welcome to AC but we are G rated around here and your name just doent seem apropriate on these boards.
In no way trying to be un friendly or rude but a name change might be in order.
he could be talking about the music group Crystal Method, just a thought.

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
Bad abriviation of that name then.I want to welcome crystal meth honestly but choseing a name like that will just cause probs.
And I'm definatly not telling them not to post in that name just sugesting they might find a friendlyer AC with a diff screen name.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store