Has anyone got a denitrator to work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Hello saltwater bretheren,

I am normally in the freshwater forums but posted (before the move) a request for info on denitrators. Only one person in the freshwater forum reported any experience with coil denitrator and he couldn't get it to work. (It was on his saltwater tank.)

I was interested if denitrators could be used to reduce nitrates and improve algea control in non-planted or lightly planted freshwater tanks. Further investigation indicated that saltwater aquarists probably have more experience with denitrators.

So the question is, do denitrators work?:confused:

revant01

AC Members
Jan 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
i havnt really seen anything about denitrifyers but it seems as tho many people are now using deep sand beds which support anerobic bacterial growth in the lower levels of the sand. The bacteria here remove nitrates by converting them to nitrogen gas.

I was thinking of trying something like this for my freshwater tank some time soon. Its just a matter of finding the right substrate for freshwater. I dont think white sand would look too good in my FW tank. Maby if i can get some black sand somewhere?

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
I have read articles which support what you indicated. I guess there's a "modern berlin" approach which is deep sand like you mentioned and then a Jaubert (sp?) approach which is to actually build an anaerobic plenum under the live sand. This could be difficult in FW tanks with plants or fish that dig in gravel. That's why I kind of liked the idea of a denitrator which would be hidden outside the tank. I can't find anyone with first experience that has gotten these things to work.

Thanks for the feedback.:)

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
i think most of the crowd would rather just use simple sand beds and live rock.

there are more fancy high-tech denitrators that use a microchip to control functions (flow rate, etc.)

it might be simpler to setup a sump and make it into a refugium, growing plants, algae, mangroves, veggies, etc.

Archer

happy new year!
May 18, 2002
USA
I have used something called "NitraZorb" for freshwater. I forgot who makes it. It is a pouch containing resin/chemicals that will remove nitrates by ion-exchange. I added the pouch in my outside filter, and 2 days later the nitrates in my tank reduced by 40ppm. It can be re-charged by putting it in a salt-solution for a few hours, and then can be used again. I did notice less algae after using it, but came back weeks later after I stopped using it.

I did this simply as an experiment. Many people don't recommend them since it gives a false sense of security. It is no substitute for water changes. Only water changes will remove other dissolved organics and other pollutants.

I find it useful for people who may have high nitrates in their tap water, or with very sensitive fishes that require very low nitrates. Otherwise, frequent water changes will solve most high nitrate problems.

Hope that helps!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store