Stuck dwarf gourami!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scottracy

Got Roy?
Jan 3, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Last night during feeding I found one of my dwarf gouramis stuck in a hole on a piece of fake driftwood. I was gone most of the day so I am not sure how long he was stuck. I was able to free him by gently pulling him back out of the hole. He looked pretty tattered and stressed. He has several abrasions on his head and side. Interestingly enough he ate some bloodworms after the incident. Later I noticed most of the other fish in the tank chasing and nipping at him. I decided to put him in my growout tank to give him a break and let him recover. This tank houses 7 small platy that are 4 months old and a small pleco. This morning he is alive and looks some better. Not sure if this was the right thing to do but I did not think he would survive in the main tank overnight. How long should I keep him in the growout tank. BTW I checked the parameters in the main tank and all parameters were good. Any similar experiences?

Scott

viboy

Born Sarcastic
Mar 15, 2002
BC, Canada
I had the same thing happen to one of my silver dollars. He is pretty well full grown and 3 months ago he got caught in a fake ornament and I spent 10 minutes trying to get him out. I was about to get a hacksaw when he finally let me wiggle him out.

It sound like he was in the same shape as your gourami but he is now back to normal. I never removed him from the tank and he turned out fine.

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
Depending upon how your main tank is stocked it was probably a good idea to give him a couple of weeks to get healthy again. Some fish will pick at an injured one in order to weed out the weak. I've had lemon tetra get stuck behind or in things, but luckily I caught it before any damage was done.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
I would have removed him also. Give him time to destress and heal without being picked on. I wouldn't put him back in until he's almost perfect again.

I had the same thing happen with an oto:( I had a lava rock structure in my tank that I built by siliconing small lava rocks together to form a wall. Otos, as we know, love to hide...and let's say I won't be doing that again!! (I think that one died though:()

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store