LOTS of Celebes Pics (They were feeling frisky!) 56K warning!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Hey all:)

Today my celebes are feeling rather frisky, especially the dominant male. He's been trying to get the female's attention all day. She's pretty much ignoring him right now, though:p If you ask me, I think she has a thing for another male with a darker complexion (but he's more interested in yet another male:eek: - sounds like it could be an episode of "As The Fish Swims").

So, I snapped some quick pictures (excuse the dirty glass, I didn't expect to take any pictures today)...

Oh, also, upon inspection right before I took these pictures, I noticed a small white bump on the dominant male's lip. Looking really closely, it appears to be a damanged scale...but given how prone these guys are to mouth fungus, I'm removing him this afternoon to a quarantine tank.

- When they're in the mood, they develop a deep, dark coloring that has a sort of gold reticulation to it. It is VERY pretty in person...

This is going to be a short series of posts. It wont let me include all pics in one message...

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
I tried to get some pictures of the male with displayed fins...but it's so hard because they move WAY too fast:(

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
Here are some of the others too. Some were feeling particularly rejected by the female and started um....taking to themselves....

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
If they felt rejected it wasn't by lack of trying! They sure tried to get her attention !!

I know these are **blurry**, but I really wanted to get some pics without the flash because it tends to fade out their white markings. The best I could do were these blurry ones, but you can see the general coloration and outline:)

Thanks for taking the time to look:)

Last edited:

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
Thank you very much mogurnda:)

At some point (soon, i hope!) I WILL have a big tank featuring big schools of congo tetras, celebes, and threadfins. I can't wait!!

And lol, I did say 56K warning and I meant it. I'm on dialup- thankfully it went fast for me since they're on my computer...

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Beautiful colours in the fish, and some excellent clear shots!

And to digress... When I first saw the thread, I read "celebs" and I thought, "She's posting pictures of celebrities?" I guess I don't know my fish.

Also nice masses of java fern!

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
Thank you kveeti:D

LOL- I hadn't thought about the title. Maybe I should have specified. I can totally see where someone who doesn't know about celebes rainbowfish can see that as "celebrities" :laugh:

Yah, I think I have enough java fern to last...oh, I don't know. A life time?:D Okay, maybe not. I love the stuff and cannot wait until my narrow leaf and windelov starts to fill in more. Also, theres a log on the left side you can sorta see...that is well on its way to looking like the one on the right. Its such an under-rated plant IMO.

This is what the celebes call home - its no 4.5 million dollar mansion like most "celebs" have, but they don't know the difference:D

55g.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store