So, what happened there then?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TonyB

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
United Kingdom
Visit site
Hi all, forgive the long post

been running a tropical tank for around 4 - 5 months now, its always been at its capacity stock wise but i've been very thorough with the water changes, making sure everything runs smoothly and had no losses for ages.

about 3 weeks ago, the tank got quite cloudy and there was quite a smell coming from it. First, i thought it was a bacterial bloom as i did quite a large water change a few days (but not more than 50%) and and cleaned the filter out thoroughly (and i also replaced one of the sponges).

It got progressively worse over the days and i came home to find most, if not all the fish at the top obviously in distress and i cant describe how bad the smell was. You couldnt see in the tank at all.

Strangely, my cory's and pleco seemed fine.

I therefore had to set up a very quick hospital tank, removed my tetras, glass fish, molly's and 3 clown loaches

The clown loaches came off worse, one was actually resting on top of the filter in the tank :(. One was dead and another was very laboured.

Unfortunately, they have since died.

The end result of this is that i've cleaned all the tank out, new gravel etc and it is now running again (and has been for sometime) and its crystal clear:)

Anyone care to take a guess what happened. As i said above, the smell was really bad (and very frustrating to see fish i've had for a long time die)

thanks

Last edited:

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Can't really hazard a guess... but, was anything new put in the tank, i.e. new decoration? Any new foods? Did you do any tests for ammonia, nitrite, etc.? Could a fish have died and not been noticed?

For future reference, after only running the tank for 4-5 months, you should not have to replace the sponge, it can last decades. Just rinse it out thoroughly in treated water.

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Agreed, very tough to diagnose a problem without knowing detailed tank parameters: KH, pH, NH3, NO2 are good starters.

Can you elaborate on the smell? A great many things smell bad, but different smells indicate different problems. Was it rotten eggs? Did it smell like dead animal? Cleaning solvent?

RioXingu

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
Janesville, WI
www.ticon.net
I suspect that when you "cleaned the filter out thoroughly", the filter lost it biological filtering capacity.
Your aquarium became like "new", and with a full stock of fish, ammonia levels rose to toxic levels and killed your fish.
I prefer filters with at least 2 sponge elements, such that only one sponge needs to be cleaned at a time.

Bill in WI

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store