Feeding inverts lobster?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

badpacket

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Hi All,

Had some lobster several days ago, and thought I'd save the exoskeletons for my shrimp and emerald crabs.

I've got the shells in the freezer, and have fed the critters a couple of times. Fed small 1-2" shell pieces, which have only slivers of flesh left.

So far, I have left the shells in the tank because I am assuming the chiton would be useful for the inverts. However, I'm not sure if they would actually degrade and affect water quality, though I'm expecting not as they are primarily calcium?

Anyways, its pretty funny watching everything in the tank drop what they are doing and charge for the lobster shell. Heck, even shrimp behind rocks who can see anything can 'sense' the lobster once it touches the tank water. But then, I can sense them when I pull them out of their freezer bag, doesn't take a sixth sense.

Ow well, just another excuse to go to Red Lobster I guess :)

Ken b

AC Members
Mar 20, 1999
Wakefield, Ma.
The lobster meat itself is fine, but would be of higher nutritional value if fed to your critters raw.

I'm not sure if they would actually degrade and affect water quality
I'm not sure about affecting the water quality. but I would remove it after a few hours

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store