Fish and chloride

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ddoan

AC Members
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
I added HCl to an empty tank to crash the ph and kh levels. As a result, I probably have tons of chloride ions. I've read on the net that chloride ions are actually good for the fish in reducing toxity of ammonia and nitrites. However, how much chloride is not good for the fish? Plus, how will this effect the plant growth?

I do on plan making 25% water changes every week for the first 5 weeks to reduce the Cl- ion concentration, but I need some assurance that it's okay to start cycling this tank as is.

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
If I can recall from the rough calculation in the last post, you would have had roughly 0.0005ppt Cl-, this would be less than 1.0005 on a hydrometer, which is a full 10 times lower than 'brackish' conditions. If my calculations were in the ballpark of what you used, you should be all good.

Yeah, you've already read all this, but I made a point of remembering 'brackish' relative density when I saw it yesterday on my lfs trip.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store