A lot can happen in a week *PICS*

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GDominy

Bottom feeders Rule
Here is a look at the changes in the tank over the last week.. a lot has happened in 7 days!

Monday: Tank looks disgusting. Green water just isn't going away and I'm at my wits end. I run to the local store and purchase an 18 watt turbo twist UV sterilizer.

Tuesday: Rub eyes in disbelief. Change 50% of the water to remove dead algae.

Wednesday: Added some additional plants from the 45 gallon tank

http://aquafiend.plantedtank.net/images/sitephotos/135G/135g07_big.jpg

Sunday: Add even more plants and another piece of driftwood to the tank to fill out the left hand side.

http://aquafiend.plantedtank.net/images/sitephotos/135G/135g08_big.jpg

OxyBomb

AC Members
Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
that looks really nice, where did you get white sand. and how do you clean it, or do you not clean it. also do you have a list of the plants your using. I am trying to decied what plants to get for myself. going through many changes in my mind with what im going to do with my tanks. thanks. and way awsome looking

geoffgarcia

AC Members
Apr 22, 2004
great job!!!

looks like that UV filter really came through for ya!!!

How long did you run it for?
is it a hang on tank type?

I've looked at them and there are so many choices and most need an additional pump to go with them! ugh!
did you get an all in one pack thinger?

tank looks great btw!

cpn_aaron

recovering fishaholic
Mar 3, 2004
Melbourne, FL
Visit site
that looks great. Great aquascaping there. I've just recently set my planted aquarium up on high watt lighting (260 w for 55 gal) and CO2 injection. It took me a while to get CO2 ready and I ran the lights anyway and now I have a hair algae problem like you wouldn't believe. I figure with more plant additions, some careful algae grooming, and water changes I can get rid of it. But certainly not in a week.

GDominy

Bottom feeders Rule
Originally posted by OxyBomb
where did you get white sand. and how do you clean it, or do you not clean it. also do you have a list of the plants your using.
That White sand is just your run of the mill White Silica Sand. You can pick it up at most construction supply places in my area. I think some pool filter sand and sandblasting sand is actually made of this stuff but you would need to ask about it.

I am only using Java Ferns and Crypt's in this tank. I needed plants that can handle the loaches persistent nibblings.

Originally posted by geoffgarcia
looks like that UV filter really came through for ya!!!

How long did you run it for?
is it a hang on tank type?
did you get an all in one pack thinger?
I have been running the UV since I bought it last monday. So only 7 days. It can be hung on the tank, however I bolted it to my stand for safety reasons (cats would probably have stepped on it.. etc). This unit is being driven by the canister filter on this tank.

Originally posted by cpn_aaron
It took me a while to get CO2 ready and I ran the lights anyway and now I have a hair algae problem like you wouldn't believe. I figure with more plant additions, some careful algae grooming, and water changes I can get rid of it. But certainly not in a week.
Hair algae can be a real pain. I did this tank a little differently tehn I had origianlly planned, but I did it so I could slowly upgrade my equipment without every going "too much" in one direction or another.

This tank is pretty simple at the moment, its a 135 gallons set up with the following;

Filters: Aquaclear 500 (2 sponges), Fluval 404 Canister, Coralife 18 Watt UV Sterilizer
Lighting: 3 x 55 watt GE 9325k Fresh/saltwater Aquarium Compact Flourescent bulbs, 2 x 40 watt Hagen Powerglo bulbs

No CO2 yet, thats next on the agenda ;-)

GDominy

Bottom feeders Rule
Most of the ferns are still rooting... 1 week and most of the new ones are still "just" hanging on. The original Java ferns have rooted pretty solidly though.

The crypts are another story.. some of them are sending out runners with new plants already.. I have baby crypts popping up all over the place

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store