why are some of my fish sitting on the bottom of the tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gnahc79

AC Members
Feb 11, 2004
bay area
Visit site
I have:
2 diamond tetras
5 platies
1 swordtail

the rest of the specs are in my sig :)

I did the usual 20% water change (Seachem prime) yesterday and rinsed out one of the AC300 sponges (two total) in the bucket of old water. After 4 hours or so I see that ALL of the platies are hiding in the plants at the bottom of the tank. The swordtail is hiding too, but swims about every once in a while. The tetras are normal and swimming around. I did a water test and everything was normal. Temp was normal too, 80F.
This morning the tetras are still normal, one of the platies is swimming around, and the swordtail swims around once in a while.

The fish look fine, they're just acting very strange...:confused:

Last edited:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Some of my platies run and hide (or swim and hide I guess) when they see me coming. The other platies run to the feeding ring for food. So my observations say they are kooky little fish and I wouldn't worry about it too much unless they are breathing heavy or have clamped fins.

schiejr

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
The only other thing I can think of is was there a sudden change at the time of the work-water temp a little off, tank pH lower than water added, not used to freshwater;) -that kind of thing. Sometimes a few days are needed to adjust to a disturbance, otherwise I agree w/TKOS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store