quarantine tank and meds?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
So I was wondering how many people automatically medicate all new fish in their qt's? And if so what sort of meds do you use. Would raised temps and salt do the trick?

I am not setting anything up at the moment but I like to ask when the thoughts pop into my head.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Same here, I have always used a QT tank for observation and acclimation. I only medicate when I need to except for Pleco's which I may treat for internal parisites right away just in case.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Same here. However, if I were to medicate in anticipation of something, it would really only be internal parasites. In which case, I'd feed something like Pepso food/garlic but not immediately treat the water.

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
It depends entirely on the type of fish in quarantine.
For most- no I would not medicate unless I saw a problem that called for it.

But I have Fancy Goldfish that are notoriously difficult to keep healthy as most come in with flukes and internal parasites. On them I dose praziquantel twice while in quarantine to ensure they don't bring anything into my system. Still have a heck of a time keeping them healthy, but with a clean gut and gills they have a much better start.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store