Plant Fest is back

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
This year's plant fest is back.

Back to nature plant fest.June 4-5-6th, Gainesville FL, 2004.
Ricky is working on the web site. Last year folks had a great time.
Note, the goal is of this is not viewing lots of aquariums, this is seeing the plants growing naturally out in nature in a variety of diverse ecosystems habitats.
There will plenty of chances to acquire plants, driftwood, fish/critters and petrified rock.

Coming into JAX is perhaps the best method. Orlando is another and you can drop the kids off at Disney or one of the many theme parks.

Careful driving down 301, speed traps. "Lead foot" Ricky found out the hard way.
Motel 6 is cheap, clean and close to everything.Right off I-75.

Friday: will be a trip to the Ichetucknee river which is about a 6 mile trip down a clear hardwater spring full of plants(close to 20 species all told) in inner tubes, snorkel mask. It is a fun thing to do and you will see more plants than you can shake a driftwood stick at(App 4hours). Even if you don't care about plants, you'll have fun doing this. BBQ after the trip down(2 hours). Side trip to swim in head spring or see Blue Hole if there is interest. Most will be pooped out. Stop over to Waldo for driftwood if we are done somewhat early. I'll try and arrange something there so Tom's is open. Meet over at my place to see a few tanks. Aquatropics is the local fish store and we can wonder over there as they are open till 9pm.

I might have a treat for you and have Bill Haller stop by and take us up to the Aquatic Weed IFAS center also. Depends on his schedule. Perhaps Dr Kane's tissue culture might also make it in there.

Sat: Rainbow river canoe trip. We will hopefully get canoes early at the park, if not, we can get them at the county park downstream. I will try to reserve several canoes. Visibility in the river is 200 ft. Swimming, plants, fishing, collecting outside the park, I will try and arrange a plant visit to see the Crypts there as I know the park manager.We will head to the Lower Suwannee River from there and stop off along the road for some 20-30 plants species and many good examples of blackwater pools and streams. From there we will head to Cedar Key for a nice dinner overlooking the sea.

Sun: Santa Fe river Canoe trip. After the freshwater sponge that grows on Hydrilla, the freshwater pipe fish, water scorpians, blue fin shiners, Madtom Catfish, FW flouders, southern darter, pygmae sunfish and of course wood. Should be done around 2-4pm so folks can head back. Or we can head to Ginnie springs and collect some the Ludwigia there which is 11% genetically different than the Rainbow springs Ludwigia(10% difference is generally considered and a different species)
We will stop at a few springs along the river and road sides for plant collecting.
Plants are free, most of the wood will be as well.
Petrified wood, some so big you cannot carry them.

Canoes run about 8-16$ per person and park fees are about 1 to 4$.
Hotel is about 29.99 per night for singles or 35$ for doubles etc and the cost down per person when there's more than one in a room. There's a 50$ donation fee but it's can be waived if you really are poor. If you don't have enough fun or something, you don't have to pay:)
No one's said that yet.

I'll plan for about 20 people but if more come we will accommodate.

Regards,
Tom Barr

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
I am going to bump the date back to June 25 when all the
GWAPA people will be in Gainesville. Then it will be a Plantfest of epic proportions!

So the dates will be 25-27th of June.
Same deal, different dates.

Regards,
Tom Barr

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Tom, I'd give an arm and my first born to go on that trip, but there's no way I can take off for it on the weekend. Especially in June.....one of my best months, work-wise.
If you ever set one for say Wed. and Thurs. in say September(HA HA like that's gonna happen) I'll be there.

Len

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store