Can this cause ich?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JazzyB

The Boys on the Move!
Sep 20, 2003
Canada
I am aware of some of the causes of ich. Would you agree that if a fish is constantly being harassed by another fish then this could lead to an outbreak of ich? I've noticed that my juvenile firemouth cichlid has been picking on my juvenile silver dollars such that it appears they may be coming down with ich.

The water conditions are fine and have been, but ever since I've removed a bolivian ram, the fav target for this same firemouth, then the SD's have begun to be picked on.

Let me know what you think.

JazzyB:cool:

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
I agree, stress is huge when any disease shows up. Especially ich. Female platties, swords, etc. with too many males are prone to getting it easily. Fish being picked on usually don't get enough food and their immune system deteriorates, leaving them prone for diseases. Plus if they're getting beat up, literally, they can lose their proctective mucas coat.

JazzyB

The Boys on the Move!
Sep 20, 2003
Canada
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to remove the firemouth amongst a few other things and see what happens.

RioXingu

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
Janesville, WI
www.ticon.net
Short answer--no.

Ich has one, and only one, causative agent--a one celled, ciliated protozoan parasite Ichthyophthirius multifiliis.
If this organism is not present in your aquarium, your fish will not get infected with ich.

If the ich parasite exists in your tank, certain fish are more likely than others to show signs of infection than others. Silver dollars are high on the list of susceptible fish.

By the way, why are you keeping peaceful Metynnis species with a notorious bad acting cichlid?

Bill in WI

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
i've had ich in tanks isolated (nothing in) for years. I lost a heater for a week had a snowy outbreak for no other reason that temp stress IMHO
Silver dollars are not that docile remember they are close relitives to pirahnas At work we have a tank full of common silvers 30 red hooks 50 and a dosen asst large SA cichlids those SDs shred every new fish that go's in there.

BTW I learned that victoria and malcchide(sp?) green are allmost worthless in very hard water for ich treatments.
I would try copperformlin (sp?) for hard water or treating most silver fish.
If salt and temp didnt work BTW those SDs have no probs with 90F fry off that ich with a quickness.

JazzyB

The Boys on the Move!
Sep 20, 2003
Canada
Originally posted by RioXingu
By the way, why are you keeping peaceful Metynnis species with a notorious bad acting cichlid?

Bill in WI
It was an experiment to see if they could reside in the same tank in harmony. The firemouth was added when it was quite small and I was hoping it would "get along" with the silver dollars. Now worries, I'm going to give the firemouth to a friend with a SA Cichlid tank.

RioXingu

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
Janesville, WI
www.ticon.net
I agree with RTR's additional comment.
The convict cichlid might have worked out with the silver dollars; I guess it was worth a try. There are a lot of individual differences in how these fish behave. Size plays a role too.

Bill in WI

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store