Sick Shary - Need HELP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hunter2001

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Strathmore, Alberta, Canada
Visit site
I purchased a red-tailed shark to add to my 29 gallon aquarium about 2 weeks ago. I was doing fine for about a week then I noticed it was very inactive and it now has a number of white spots on it, it doesn't look good at all.

I have 6 tiger barbs and 3 silver dollars in the tank as well, which are all doing fine.

Does anybody know what kind of illness this is, and should I remove the shark from the aquarium.

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
Sounds like Ich. Sharks and cats show the first signs because they are virtualy scaleless. Do you have a quarantine tank? If not you'll have to treat the whole tank. What is the temp? Raise it to 84 now and reply and we can help you out.

JesseJ

You should be dancin'
Jan 22, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
Yes. Ich is a parasite that grows on the flesh of the fish. The increased heat will speed up it's life cycle and it will die sooner. There are also medications you can get or you could use aquarium salts. I would recommend buying a cheap 10 gallon tank to use as a hospital tank and keeping it at the increased temperature for a few days and see if things improve.

RioXingu

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
Janesville, WI
www.ticon.net
Thanks for the correction on the link. I had it right before I edited (to correct my grammar), and I must have clicked on that "l" and deleted it.

Bill in WI

SomethingFishy

AC Members
May 1, 2002
Austin, TX
Real Name
Virginia
whether or not you have a Q-tank doesn't matter if it's ich. You will have to treat the whole tank. The above mentioned site has wonderful advice for treating ich (and much more great info too). Check it out.

Virginia

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store