30-Gallon Stocking Plan

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TPIRman

Fishkeeping Yellow Belt
Mar 5, 2004
New York, NY
Visit site
Here is yet another stocking plan to run by the AC community, hope you all don't mind taking a look and letting me know what you think. This is for a well-planted 30-gallon tank that I'm setting up:

- 6 Danios (3 zebras, 1 leopard, 2 pearls)
- 5 Julii Corydoras
- 5 Otos
- 2 Apistogramma borelli (dwarf cichlids, m/f pair)
- 1 Dwarf Gourami

I might also add some Amano shrimp or a true ramshorn snail at some point.

If I could start all over again, I would get all the same kind of danio, but I already have that motley crew of six in a 10G tank. I have been lucky that they get along quite well as a group, even schooling together when they get worried (if I'm changing around the aquascape, etc.). The pearls have even spawned a couple times. But this post isn't about the danios...

I intend to add the danios and otos first, then the cories, then the borellis, and finally the dwarf gourami. I only have one quarantine tank, so it'll be a slow process.

My major question is whether the gourami will get along with/leave alone the dwarf cichlids. If that would be a bad combo, any suggestions for something that might work better than a dwarf gourami? Or are there any other red flags re: compatibility of species?

My other concern is that I won't have enough activity at the various levels of the tank. Specifically if I'm overloaded on bottom-dwellers. Supposedly the otos, cories, and borellis are all bottom-dwellers, but I have read that otos go all over in a planted tank. And danios are supposed to be top-dwellers but IME they swim all over the tank, top to bottom. So I don't know how much to trust those preferred-tank-level "rules" (though I have no doubt on the cories, of course).

If you have a moment, let me know your thoughts, alternative suggestions, etc., and thanks in advance!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Is this a 30 gallon tall tank or a long tank?

So far it looks pretty good to me, especially since it is heavily planted. The gourami and cichlids will have enough getting away spots to keep the aggression down I would eblieve.

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
This is just my opinion but I might leave out the cories or the ottos and possibly the gourami. Let me splain.

I have a 29g, fairly heavily planted (I always want to say heavily until I see someone's jungle tank and rethink my definition of heavily) with 7 LF Zebra Danios, 1 Clown Pleco, 6 Pygmy Corys, 2 Blue Rams, and about a dozen shrimp (ghost and amano). I think my tank is right about at the limit. Maybe not in terms of bioload as I'm sure I could get away with more but visually I'm maxed out.

The danios freak out swimming all over the top of the tank like three year olds high on Halloween candy which can be distracting. The shrimp hang out everywhere and are alwasy in view and interesting. The pygmys are sometimes shy but can often be seen searching through the plants for food. This leave the mid to bottom for the Rams which I consider the centerpiece fish in this tank.

My feeling is that if I added more fish I'd have too much going on and too little space for it to happen in. The more I think about it, maybe I'd just leave out the gourami. Again, just my $.02. I don't think your current plan is really overstocked.

Tom

TPIRman

Fishkeeping Yellow Belt
Mar 5, 2004
New York, NY
Visit site
Thanks for your replies! To follow up:

TKOS -- It's a standard 30-gallon (i.e., not a "breeder"), 36 x 12 x 16.

Tomm -- Best description of danios ever

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
The only worry I really see is if the apistos start spawning. You can probably avoid any major entanglements by having your cave or rock structures on one end of the tank though. It shouldn't take long for the other residents to learn to stay away and so long as everyone has a place to duck it should be fine. That being said perhaps it would be better to lower it to 3 corys and 3 ottos.

TPIRman

Fishkeeping Yellow Belt
Mar 5, 2004
New York, NY
Visit site
Hound -- any particular reason for the 3 + 3 suggestion? I've heard that cories and otos do better in larger groups. You think it would be too crowded?

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
Mostly to lower the bio-load, but also since corys are bottom dwellers it will give a bit more space for your apistos. It is possible you can have 5 corys and 5 ottos, but at the same time I'd probably play it safe myself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store