Gold fish and Mollies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
I have a 10 gallon that I have 4 cories and a fancytail goldfish in. I had 2 but the other just died. I don't think this one is going to live for more than a few more months. They both got dropsy really bad and it was amazing they lived. Well, they haven't been the same since. This one is still healthy. My question is could I put a few sailfin mollies with the goldfish or should I wait for this one to die? I've never tried goldfish with anything other than bottom feeders. If I have to I could get a 5 gallon for him.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Hi T....not a good mix IMO, the mollies would prefer more heat than the goldfish would like, plus prefer a saltier environment. I also don't advise putting the goldfish in a 5 gallon, the fancy types need more like 20+ gallons..... if you don't want him, why not bring him to the store for a trade off?

(EDIT: added "+")

Last edited:

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
I agree with dangerdoll...rather than waiting for the fish to die, go to the pet store or to a shelter and see if the goldfish can get a better change at life. If all else fails, maybe an online classifieds ad would be best, or you could run one for a small fee in your local paper.

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
I'd probably have to pay to get rid of him. Not the sportiest model since the dropsy. I won't be adding salt due to the cories.

Think I'll wait and get a larger tank before getting sailfins.

DHR

AC Members
Feb 25, 2004
New York
Visit site
How big is the goldfish? Once they start getting their growth a 10 gal doesn't really promote good health & long life. I have kept mollies with goldfish. Unsuccessfully. The mollies would pick at the slime on the goldfish. The goldfish would eat the baby mollies. Not a good mix.

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
She's maybe 3-4 inches. She hasn't grown much since the dropsy. Tank is more than enough for her. I'll just keep her in this tank and get a bigger tank when I decide to get the mollies.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
The tank might be "more than enough for her" if she stays sickly and small, but thats a whole other issue. That is stunting the fish, and its not good at all. It would certainly lead to an untimely death as these fish are supposed to live 20+ years.

Ken

AC Members
Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
IMO a 10gal is too small for sailfin mollies.

They are extremely active fish and get to 4+ inches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store