algae control in a small pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nfinit1

AC Members
Jan 12, 2003
Visit site
Hello All
My mom has a little small pond that get partial sun in the morning till noon and mostly shade after that
Its a little rubber one above ground maybe 1.5 feet 2 feet deep, its been around for at least two years..fish stay in the pond all year..some goldfish from Petsmart and a few small koi
She has a pump that pumps the water up through a tube...like a spout....
She does have potted plants in it as well floating plants

at this time she using a chemical for algae control
But would like a more natural way of controling algea

I was thinking pleco, but from reading a post he would get big
Since this is an alll around year pond the fish would have to survive winters here in GA

ANy suggestions???

Delco

AC Members
Dec 6, 2002
NJ
Visit site
Try getting a filter with a UV light in it. FishMate is the one I have an it seems to work pretty well. I have also heard that tadpoles eat Algae but you may need a lot of them to really help out. I would try the filter with UV light.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by Delco
....l. I have also heard that tadpoles eat Algae .....
A thought on frogs....

We never added tadpoles, but did the frogs somehow show up!!
Our neighbor asked if we bought frogs and mentioned how loud they are at night. Really she was just complaining about the 'frog noise'..... Be careful to place your pond. I'd suggest not near your bedroom window... LOL :D

I have no problem with the 'frog noise'...

On algae...
Guess we have been lucky since there have been no major problems with it. :scratch: The pond has been up and running for years. We have some lily pads and minimal other plants. The pond itself is a black plastic moulded type, not a sheet liner..

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store