a question for the ladies...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
do you think that tampons are aquarium safe?

in case your wondering...

I'm thinking of building a filter with a tube, mini power head and using the tampon as the filter media, its a UGF for a one gallon, thanks!

MissMeow

AC Members
Apr 11, 2004
Visit site
I would have to say probobly yes. They are made out of cotton I think. Also, if you are really conscientious, they sell all organic tampons at Co-ops and natural food stores.

bozco

AC Members
Dec 4, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Yup, just avoid those scented ones or the ones that have stuff in them to reduce odour. Tampons used to be made from peat moss. Just an interesting fact.

viboy

Born Sarcastic
Mar 15, 2002
BC, Canada
And there is Hans going into the drugstore to buy tampons ... "No their not for my girlfriend."

I think most guys would hide in the closet before being forced to go out and buy tampons. :laugh:

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Why a tampon? Is it because its easier to pull out of a tube? Couldn't you rig a sponge with some fishing line instead?

In case you're all wondering, yes I do know what and how tampons work, and I'm at peace with my orientation, so buying them for my GF isn't a problem :p

-Richer

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Ok..
So it seems cost is not a factor - guess I shouldn't mention good old filter floss... :confused:

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
LMAO @ this thread!!!

My husband was forced to go to the store and buy me napkins after I had my son... he was mortified (and insisted on taking the empty package with him, so he got the right thing)... I can't imagine him voluntarily buying feminine hygiene products!!!

I agree with the pp's - they are all natural, all cotton, just be sure to get non-scented type.

~Tara

Julia

AC Members
Feb 2, 2004
Washington, DC
Visit site
Tampons have been shown to be excellent substrate for growth of bacteria, at least the ones that cause toxic shock syndrome. So that might work for biofiltration.

But the modern fibers that are used in tampons are designed to take up large amounts of fluid and swell to fit the available space and obstruct further fluid flow. This may overwork your pump. So try it & see what happens. You may want to get the "junior miss" size to allow for the expansion.

Men, please don't worry about being seen with them at the store. That just shows you have a woman willing to share her most intimate life with you. :) If you get looks from women, they mean "hmm, that one's a keeper, wonder what he's got..."

:D

BTW, Hans, why tampons? Did someone leave a box behind in your bathroom or are you really on to something here???

roliva

Dovii/Umbee Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
Lehigh Valley, PA
If the tampons are made of cotton, they will probably not last long because of deterioration, but then again, you would probably not want to reuse a tampon!!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I would agree with Joe, get some cheap filter floss. Polyester is much more durable than cotton, so it will last a lot longer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store