sting rays

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stephenray75

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
Texas
Visit site
has any one keep a fw stingray? When i bought my 90 i was going to keep one but i turned it into a salt water tank. the cost of a reef tank is too much for a full time college student so im taking it down and putting up a FW tank. I still want the stingray.
Any experience?

stephen

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
i dont really see the allure, you have to feed them live blood worms, cant put much else in with them, and then dont really swim that much, but anyways, i belive they need salty water and cost around 60 dollars

stunt 101

1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish
Feb 18, 2004
Northern VA
Visit site
yes my friend had one that was about 5-6". hes not too smart about fish and had him in a 30 gallon fw with a lot of other fish. needless to say he didnt last long. and btw one of the reasons probably was he never got feed anything special like bloodworms, only flakes which i dont know if he ate. and yes he was around 60 bucks locally.

stephenray75

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
Texas
Visit site
actually there are pure Fresh water stingrays out there, No you dont have to feed them live food. I have keep saltwater and have done research on FW rays, even seen a few.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
they are cool. and they do swim around a lot. ive seen videos of them attacking and eating crayfish. if your new you should start with hermorosas. most teacups are probably them. you start them off on blackworms and stuff then switch them over to nightcrawlers and raw shrimp and can even get them to handfeed. they need really clean water and you can keep non nippy tankmates or some top dwellers with them. im setting up my 90 gallon right now for a pair of humerosas. i know i guy selling them for 60 bucks each. with a 2 week warranty.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I've never kept them, but have done quite a bit of research because they are a goal of mine for someday. What I've found is basically, sandy substrate is a must, excellent water quality is a must, and they need meaty foods. blitzen25bm summed things up pretty well. For me personally I would go with a 2ft by 6ft tank minimum, the standdard 90g has a bit small of a footprint, and a lot of un needed height, but if it is what you have it could work for the smaller ones. One of the local LFS's here in columbus has a stingray display tank, and they do have some fish in with them although not many. With a 90 I imagine it would look pretty empty unless you had something swimming around above the rays. Let us know if you get them and how it works out.
Dave

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
i PMed you info for the guy im going to buy from.

my tnaks not really 90 its a weird tank. something like 5x1.5x1.5 buying them from 6 inches so they can hang out there for a while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store