African Butterflies and dwarf puffers?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LiquidCucumber

Registered Member
Apr 25, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
Hello all, I've been doing a little bit of research and found that I have dwarf puffers and african butterfly fish within my reach. I was wondering if these two species would get along together say in a 20 gallon? Like perhaps if I had 2 butterflies and 3 dwarf puffers? Would the butterflies be too agressive towards the puffers? The only reason I ask is because I want both fish and they have very similar eating patterns. Thanks!

schiejr

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
I think the dwarf puffers would be the problem. They usually cannot resist taking a taste of anything. I brought this to that attention of a fish store that had puffers in with an african knife. The puffers were nipping at the undulating fins. I think they would go for the butterfly's long fins.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
I'd say nope. Especially with those long ventricle-like extensions on a butterfly fish and its delicate tail/pecs.

EDIT: Also, they really prefer to be solitary, and as teh only top-dwelling fish. Esp, in a tank as small as a 20g since they only use the surface areas, which is pretty small. Two would probably fight.

Last edited:

LiquidCucumber

Registered Member
Apr 25, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
Thanks alot guys! I really thought that the butterfly fish would be the problem... now I have to make the decision of which one I would rather have. Opinions? :D

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
I'd say puffers, again because butterfly fish only use the surface of a tank - the real "size" of the tank is irrelevant to them. They only use the footprint of a tank. I personally say a 29g (depending on dimensions, but assuming standard) is the minimum for a butterfly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store