Adventures in Betta-sitting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Your milage may vary, but experience in suitable tankmates for a betta as of late:

Betta w/ female betta - as the betta never built a bubble nest, he pretty much left her alone

Betta w/ 2 male guppies - chased them around for maybe 2 minutes, then got bored, nothing else ever happened

Betta w/ dwarf gourami - they outright ignored each other

Betta w/ 3-spot gourami - After about 30 seconds, it was decided they were going to go at one another, so the betta was removed

Betta w/ rainbow shark - You'd never think of the weird combos, and they ignored each other for over a year. And then one day, the betta started pestering the shark for a good 10 minutes, until the shark grabbed him and slammed him against a rock..

Anyways, just for some first hand experience... won't even bother mentioning the betta w/ 6in long crayfish, that one is kindof a given....

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Abbotsford, BC. Canada Eh?
Visit site
I have found that my males are more interested in fighting their own reflection then anything else.
My male betta in the community tank pretty much gets ignored by anyone he tries to intimidate, its rather funny.
Even my black skirts who get spooked everytime I enter the room just continue swimming on by when he's in full scare mode. Heck, my neons pester him if he even dares enter their school, they dont want nobody in their turf, hehe
That being said, he does bug the females a fair bit if they encounter each other

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
my betta completely ignored his reflection when I put a mirror up to the tank. he would rather look over the top of the mirror at me and beg, so go figure

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
i dropped my betta into my planted tank the other day

at first, the small angel was bein mean to him, but i guess the betta bit him back and it hurt because they ignore each other now.

but man, i never thought a betta would be so swimmy!! it never stops exploring!

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Abbotsford, BC. Canada Eh?
Visit site
my bettas are easily the most active fish in my tank, lol
and one of my females like to be "pet" of sorts, if my hand come near the surface she comes close and wont leave untill I run my finger along her at least once, its kinda funny

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I had my betta with some white clouds and cories for awhile. He would flare, they would all dart away and that was it. Then he decided to become a real jerk to one cory. Little did he know that cory has no eyes and couldn't see him. He would flare for minuets and then go and sulk in a corner. It was really funny to watch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store