filtration

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
Are you looking to replace the cannister filter? I don't know a thing about cascade cannisters, but if its rated for a 200g tank it should do fine for a 90g tank.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Filters are a matter of personal preference, if you cannister is rated for 200 as Hound said it would be fine, if you want to replace it, There are a lot of options. For your stingray I (just what I would do and one option) would go really bio-intensive, as water quality is a big issue with them. Probably a couple of Emporer 400's and a canister, or AC 500's full of bio media or sponges. I tend to try to run 900- 1350 GPH on a 90 gallon tank, with sponges on the intakes for extra mechanical filtration, and lots of bio-media of some kind.
HTH

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Generally, for any tank larger than 30 gallons, I would usually suggest a setup of multiple filters. For your 90 gallon tank, I would put a prefilter sponge over your canister's intake and dedicate that completely to biological filtration (ie. stuff it with as much biomedia as you can, rinse out that prefilter once a week). Then I would add one of the following extras:
1.) One Aquaclear 500 (or equivilant)
2.) Two Aquaclear 300s (or equivilant)
3.) Another smaller canister. Once again with a prefilter over the intake.

Options 1 and 2 is assuming that you'll have no plants in your tank. I choose aquaclears because of their relatively large media basket. So you can stuff those with filter floss/sponges for good mechancial filtration.
Option 3 is assuming that you will have plants in your tank.

I would personally choose option 2. 2 filter is better than 1, so its logical to say that 3 filters is better than 2. I wouldn't worry too much about too much water flow... unless your fish are extremely sensitive to water flow, most fish can handle a bit of moving water.

Keep in mind, the options I gave you aren't set in stone, they are a lot of ways to filter your tank... I just gave you what I would personally do for a moderately stocked tank.

HTH
-Richer

stephenray75

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
Texas
Visit site
well i found out that no place can sell stingrays in texas. Bummer.... so im trying lousiana and if they dont sell them then the tank will have some plants with 12 leaf fish in it, a ghost knif or elephant nose, a frog or to, a eel of some sort, maybe a cat fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store