Goldfish losing scales?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mickeymacleod

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
My goldfish seem to be losing their scales. Is this normal? They seem quite healthy otherwise. If not, is there anything I can do to help them out?

stunt 101

1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish
Feb 18, 2004
Northern VA
Visit site
yea that was my problem my friend insisted on me getting goldfish feeders for my crayfish and 2 didnt die or get eaten so now they are just growing and with the rest of my fish.

SwedishFish

FiSH FrEaK
May 25, 2003
Visit site
I read up on this and it seems that when they have a drastic change or slightly big change in the water quailty or ph this sometimes causes the fish to lose there scales, Check your PH and what is your water temp etc then i can help u further

mickeymacleod

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
Hmmm, I haven't been using different water. I don't have a pH tester, so I cannot tell you what it is. It has been a little warmer in the house lately, but I didn't think that it was that much. I noticed that my heated tank has been a little higher lately, however, the goldfish have survived bigger temp changes than that without any problem. I have been letting the water for the changes sit for a few days before I change it (where as I didn't before), but I didn't think that would have an adverse effect on it. I just don't know. They seem quite healthy otherwise; their appetite hasn't diminished in the least (they try to attack you every time you pass the tank) and I am doing extra good gravel vacuuming when I do water changes. My angels are fine and I use the same type of water for them as the goldfish.

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
Is there a whiteish slim with it? If so it's dropsy. Mine got it about 6 months ago and I just lost one. Other one is okay for now, not the sportiest model. :p

SwedishFish

FiSH FrEaK
May 25, 2003
Visit site
If it doesnt have dropsy i think only time will tell if its deadly to fish or if they will recover from this. Try using cold water to lower the tempature back to what it was before it started heating up. Gives us some updates on the goldfish. What are the exact temps of the aquarium? that would help some if we had that info :)

mickeymacleod

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
:scratch: Nope, no white slim. Tried to find my extra thermometer, however, it seems to have grown legs. Will try to get a temp on it tomorrow. Sorry I'm so disorganized with my info. They are still eating like horses though. The larger one seems to be worst than the smaller.
Hmmm...just had a thought...a couple of weeks ago, the smaller one was chasing the other around quite a bit (thought they were thinking of spawning??) and bumping it. Could this have had some affect on the scales? Just a thought. Anyway I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help.

SwedishFish

FiSH FrEaK
May 25, 2003
Visit site
The smaller fish chasing the bigger one around may have caused some stress which may have contributed to the scale losing. Are they still losing them? Has the condition improved any?

mickeymacleod

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
It doesn't look like there are any more missing. For some reason, they seem to look a little better today? Maybe it's just my imagination though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store