Mineral replacement for r/o water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chrisp71MO

AC Members
Feb 13, 2004
Bevier, MO
Visit site
Before I moved I was using tap water with conditioners but last year when I moved I got my new r/o unit because the TDS count was off the chart and couldn't keep the algae down. Since then I have had problems keeping snails alive. The other day I removed another dead snail from the tank and his shell literaly fell apart in my hand! That's when it dawned on me (duh); with r/o water I'm also removing the MINERALS from the water and there is no longer any calcium for the snails to supplement their shells! when I tested the tank water sure enough my GH was around 54 ppm. What if anything do any of you use to supplement these minerals in you tanks?

got_nailed

AC Members
Mar 26, 2004
roanoke, va
Visit site
I have thought about going RO with my well water. I was told to mix the RO and well water together or to use supplants. The one’s I was told to try are.

Kent… Trace Elements
Black Water something if tank was planted
Liquid RO Right
Electro Right
And a Ph Adjuster might need to be used.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Are you keeping anything special in your tank?

Why not just mix the R/O water with your tap water? Experiment with the mixture (ie. 50/50, 70/30, etc.) to see what your best mixture is. That should surfice in terms of supplementing your R/O water. Remember to try to keep KH around 3-4. Any lower, and your water can be subjected to pH swings.

HTH
-Richer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store