Corydoras catfish and betta : Problem?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hamadrys

Registered Member
Apr 29, 2004
Michigan - USA
Visit site
I have a 5 gallons tank with a beautiful betta and a small corydoras catfish (2" long). The catfish is nocturanl and I almost never see him move around, however, I have him since almost one year now. I have noticed that the long fins of my betta are getting shredded. Could it be the catfish nipping at him ?

schiejr

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
Not sure, cories are not normally considered nocturnal and normally do not bother the other fish. Have you ever seen the cory nip the betta? Have both fish been in there a year and this is the first time you have had problems?

Peter99

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
My cories get so well with my betta (not at first), and I don't think cories are capable harming the betta. Cories don't bite, they suck food into their mouth, so nipping is a little hard to come by.

Do you have plastic plants in your tank? I had the plastic plants removed after my betta got shredded a few times. I think gravel can shred the fins if your betta likes to play on the bottom a lot.

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
I agree with the other posters that the cory is not a suspect. I would expect its nearly impossible for him to shred the betta's fins. Most likely its an ornament or plastic plant that's catching and tearing his fins.

Cories should generally be kept in groups (3 or more at least). Its likely that you cory acts nocturnal because he has no companions to school with (I use the term school loosely). Get him a couple of cory buddies and he'll be out more. I have four panda cories in an 8g hex with a betta and they are out all the time.

Tom

hamadrys

Registered Member
Apr 29, 2004
Michigan - USA
Visit site
I have the betta since maybe 3 weeks now. At first, there was a plastic plant in the tank but I removed it and replaced it by a fabric one, but looking into it, that plant isn't that soft... I have a few rocks that are kind of sharp edged, one is quartz cristals. I just removed the plant, because it is there that the betta hangs around the most. I have never seen him around the rocks.
The gravels are round and soft because I wanted something good for the barbels of the catfish and the very little pleco.
No, I have never seen the catfish nipping at the betta, and I am glad they can be good buddies, because I love them all. I will see if the fins are getting better and if not, well I guess I will remove the rocks and put some rond polished one. Thanks a lot !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store