have Ick, Need Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hunter2001

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Strathmore, Alberta, Canada
Visit site
My fish have Ick and I'm not sure what to do. I currently have 6 tiger barbs and 3 silver dollars in my 29 gallon tank. The tiger barbs are definately sick. The white spots are starting to show and they are showing signs of other ick symptoms as well.

The 3 silver dollars seem to be ok right now.

What should I do, or is it too late. Should the sick ones be removed.

Appreciate any response

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Abbotsford, BC. Canada Eh?
Visit site
if you have a separate tank and/or other available water holding containerish thing, then yes, yank them out of there and put them in a heated container and raise the temp up above 80 degrees. That will help kill off the infection. It just shortens the life cycle of the ich bug and it wont harm the fish.
As for your main tank you should also raise the temp as well, to get rid of anything inhabiting it.
And when the ich is no longer visable on the fishies, give em one more day of treament to make sure.
Always werked for me

edit: You dont have a seprate container, raise the temp of your main tank, that will suffice as well.
Fish can take it, just give them a break after a couple days

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
I don't see the reason for removing them, the other fish likely have ich as well. Once you see the white dots, they've had ich for a while, this is about the last stage of ich before they break open the cysts and swim to new hosts. I can definitely say don't use wardley's ick medicine on the barbs, it killed several of mine. I've never tried the "natural" ick remedy of salt and heat but ick guard II works wonders and hasn't killed any fish yet. I do add salt and raise the temp at the same time though. Kyle

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
The basic remedy for ick removal is temperature and aquarium salt. 80f is good, but about 85f would be better. Just make certain to go up in temperature in increments over a few days.

Just to ask, but what are your other tank parameters such as ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Also what temperature do you normally keep and does your tank have any new residents?

Lastly how big are your residents? Silver dollars can get to a pretty decent size and in a 29g having both them and the tiger barbs might be a bit too crowded. Oh, and I forgot to ask how long has the tank been set up?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store