Discus water changes.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mad Highlander

AC Members
Aug 20, 2000
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Been doing alot of research on Discuss lately and I have noticed alot of conflicting information out there. One of the biggest descrepencies concerns water changes (both amount and frequency). Some people change 30% of their water once a week, others 10% twice a week, some 20 every second week and son and so on.....

Can anybody clear this up and give me some straight information?

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
Discus like very clean water and are sensitive to nitrates. You want to keep the nitrates below 10 ppm at all times (preferably lower). I change 80% twice a week and my discus do very well. There is very conflicting information on discus and the best I can say is to talk to many people who are successful at keeping discus and find the method that works best for you. You may not want to do as many water changes as I do so find a method that you can live with. Just beware of those that tell you that their way is the only way.

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
I would agree with Deb2 that larger water changes have worked better for me. I tend to do 50% water changes twice a week, if my schedule permits it.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
I change 50% once a week on my tank. I do it every Saturday morning. The discus are doing really well. If I had more time I would do the same amount twice a week, but I have three small kids so I'm kind of tied up during the week.

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
According to Jack Watley, who has a Q/A column in the TFH Magazine, he suggests 30 to 40% water change 3 to 4 times a week. He said that if the fish have got used to large water change, a 50% daily water change is not excessive. So according to Jack, discus is best kept in an open system in which the water change turn over rate is several times a week. This is why I don't keep discus because there is too much work.

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
It's going to depend also on stocking levels, whether the tank is planted, how close you can get your change water parameters to that in the aquarium, what filtration you're using, I'd have thought.

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
Stocking levels do make a difference but discus are sensitive to nitrates and the only way to get rid of nitrates is through water changes, plants make only a minute contribution to nitrate removal. Actually more plants use ammonia than nitrates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store