pics from New England Aquarium visit 56k watch out!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Egyptdragon

AC Members
Apr 24, 2004
The leafy and weedy sea dragons have always been my favorite salt water critters. Very nice.

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
Where is New England Aquarium located? Is it the same as the one in Boston? I will be in Boston this summer and want to check out the aquarium there. Since I keep only fresh water fish, does any one know if the Boston Aquarium displays many fresh water fish worth visting?

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
sorta, but i feel sorry for them, they have a few giant south american fish like pacus and red tail cats but they are in a tank that is way too small for them! :shake: :mad:

they have about 300 rummy nose in a 20 long kinda lookin tank that when you press a button it reverses the water flow, and they switch direction as well,

what else did they have...

some brackish displays... look at the pics, page

fishypoo2

Editor of Tropical Fish Monthly
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
As I had just PMd Hans about, the exhibits at the NEAq (where I am a volunteer at the Freshwater Gallery) are a lot bigger than they appear. The Red-tailed cat is 18 yrs old, he dosen't move much even when provided lots of clear swimming space. You can only see 1/3 of the rheotaxis (rummynosed) tank from the front. Not only that, but daily water changes are performed and the fish are treated as soon as they are noticably ill. Most of the fish there are over 5-6 years old due to such attentive care. Thanks,

Ryan

P.S. The "20 long" tank you talked about is about 300 gallons, you can only see 120 of it.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
I was just going to say that some of the tanks are larger than they appear - plus, I do believe some of them have "holding tanks" that the fish get released back into during off hours - to larger areas behind the main display tanks.

I've been there a lot and it never gets boring. It's really cool when the electric eel is feeling feisty;) Though, I was surprised to see the cories in there when I went (I think thats what the pic of the cories here was) in with the eel. I'd have thought they'd be eaten right up as a tasty hors d'oeuvres. Guess not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store