Rescue Betta question for Leopardess and others

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Egyptdragon

AC Members
Apr 24, 2004
I noticed on your website that you have nursed back ill bettas...

I have fallen for a double-tailed girl at my local pet-store, and she's got some kind of white wispy fuzz on her forehead. They set her aside for me and are supposedly treating her... I checked on her yesterday and they have put her in a tiny carrying tank and have a bubbler for her.

So, if I go ahead and do something crazy like buying a little sickly girl from a store with not the best track record, what are the things I should prepare for her?

I have a 2.5 gallon running right now (using water from my established 18gal) in case I get her. I'm a little worried about the power of the filter I've got in there-it's meant for a 5-10 gallon and really makes the water choppy. Would it be best to use just a bubbler in the 2.5, use the filter and hope she can handle the current or go ahead and buy a 5/10 gallon tank for her?

You have recommended Melafix on several occasions in this forum before and the store carries that for about $6 a bottle. I'm planning to pick up a bottle regardless of whether I get her or not, it seems like a good thing to keep on hand.

Anything I'm forgetting (asides from the usual "never buy a sick animal" mantra)?

Normally I would just wait for a healthy fish, but she's got such a sweet personality. When I first saw her she perked up to look at me and when I went to visit her the second time she did the same. She probably just wants people to feed her, but I think it's sweet.

Thank you in advance.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
melafix sounds good.

what she has sounds like a fungus... and bettas often succumb to that in less than favorable conditions. or something was introduced into her tank that brought the fungus. actually, whenever one of my bettas is about to die, (old age or stress or something), they will get the fungus. it has happend a couple times, and i've never been able to catch it in time to treat it.

i wouldn't put the betta in the tank with a strong current, especially when they are feeling under the weather. try turning the pressure down to the lowest setting, adding a spounge over the filter intake, or putting some filter floss up the intake tube. this should slow the current down.

you can try adding a little salt to her water as well.

HTH
-Diana

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Hey there! As long as it hasn't progressed too very far, you should be able to nurse her back to health (and if you can't, at least you tried and its more than most would have done - all for 10$ or so).

Plus, if she's got a spunky personality - it may mean she's not ready to give up just yet!

I would probably forego the filter completely if its rated for a much larger tank. As long as you do water changes on it, it should be fine. Since the betta has been in a small cup for most of her life, she probably doesn't have much muscle strength. The stress of the move in addition to suddenly being jossled around may be too much. The bubbler would create slight water movement (which would, in turn, help circulate any meds through the water).

Melafix is good. It won't cure the fungus but it can help keep any new bacterial infections from occuring in her wounds that are left by the fungus.

I would suggest trying something like Binox or Jungle Fungus Eliminator at first, dosing very carefully since its in a smallish container. That has helped me get past many a bout with fungus-y type things (esp. with Mr. Red, who you have probably seen on my site!).

If that fails after what seems like a reasonable amount of time, you may want to switch to something like Maracyn Plus - a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Or, you can try a method that Luv has hinted towards. Just use a little aquarium salt in the water *(which fungus doesn't like) and keep the temperature a bit lower (75 ish), also something fungus doesnt like.

Feed her good foods in hopes of boosting her immune system.

As for buying her a larger tank, if you've got extra money then sure. If you don't, it won't be necessary (provided you are good about your little water changes and dosing carefully esp. with the Binox which uses just 1 tsp for 25 US gallons, though I've done it successfully.

Then, when :))) she gets better, you can think about giving her her own 5-10g tank (with some friends, possibly).

Thanks for looking at my website, btw!!!!:D

Egyptdragon

AC Members
Apr 24, 2004
It turns out I won't even have to buy a new tank, I found a ten gallon in the car-port. It's got to be cleaned, but that's not too bad.

I'm heading out soon actually to check up on the medications you've suggested. I haven't actually bought the little girl yet, but if they haven't killed her by Tuesday I think I will.

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
New tanks are always an awesome score - but more so when they're free;)

WIll they not let you buy her until tuesday? I'm not too sure I trust them to actually be treating her. Some places say they do but don't really do it:( Maybe you can ask what meds they're using on her or get her sooner so you can start treatment?

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
I have often wondered if I was the only person that wondered about tanks labled as treated at many shops.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
Part of the reason i say that is:

Back when I first really got into fish keeping, I had some harlequin rasboras with mouth fungus that *would not go away.* I tried everything. No avail. I happened to mention it to the manager of a pet store that had always been really friendly. He said something like "Oh, well, I've got some medicine that really works for that. if all else fails, bring them in to me and I'll see what I can do for them." He was always so nice so I believed him. I brought my 3 little rasboras into him...I later found out that he just dumped them into a "hospital" tank (who's medicinal benefits were surely overridden by the funky water and lack of cleaning) with some cichlids!! Needless to say, they didn't get any better and I never got them back because they probably didn't make the day.:mad:

Egyptdragon

AC Members
Apr 24, 2004
It's not quite that they are making me wait, more that the guy who is holding her for me just wrote "hold" on the tank, but it doesn't have my name, so none of the other workers know what to do with her when I come by.

I'm going to stop in today and hope for the best... I know that the one fish guy works there on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the afternoon so I ought to be able to get her then if I can't get her today.

I'm planning initially to put her in the 2.5g, then if she looks better in a few days move her into the new (but old) 10. I found the Jungle Fungus Clear that you had recommended and since the dose is one tablet per ten gallons, I'll get four times as many doses if I cut the tablets... she is more used to a small container anyway so hopefully this will gradually ease her into the idea of a big tank.

I found some Tetra brand Anti-Bacteria flakes with Tetracycline hydrochloride in them. Would that be overmedicating her and making her worse or would that help out?

Thanks again for all the help.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
I might try just the jungle fungus clear first. I had originally meant Jungle Fungus Eliminator, which comes as powder in a bottle, but if you can cut the tablets accurately they should be fine.

Good luck!

Egyptdragon

AC Members
Apr 24, 2004
Delay!

Well, I keep stopping in and bugging everyone who works there. I finally was able to talk to the guy who's holding/treating her for me. I may be being unwise, but I'm choosing to trust that he's actually treating her appropriately for the symptoms.

When I asked what he's using to treat her he said a little bit of Melafix for the leftover wounds and Maracyn(or maybe it was Maroxy, the names are too similar for me to diferentiate for more than a few minutes) for the fuzz.

He seems to want to keep treating her- and since I have stopped in a lot in the last week, I have seen her condition improve so something is happening. They don't have her in a general hospital tank, but rather a small tank on the counter, which also gives me hope that he knows what hes doing. He's one of two people in the store who I trust.

What makes me sad though is that all the other bettas with the same condition have since died, but because I showed an interest in this particular girl, they are putting forth an effort to treat her. It seems very wrong to me that it is more cost effective for them to just let the fish die than to do anything about it!

I should be able to pick her up on Saturday. Maybe by then I can figure out where the digital camera is so I can show everyone what all the fuss is about :)

Thanks again for all your advice!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store