two questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OxyBomb

AC Members
Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
My first one is, has anyone kept a dragon head eel? my LFS guy has a few of them for 6 bucks each, and they look really cool. says they chew rocks and eat sinking shrimp pellets.

second one is could you run a sump setup system thing on more then one tank, or ssdoes it work with only 1 tank. thanks.

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
I have been seeing those dragon eels about recently also, but I have never kept one. On the sump, yes you can have more than one tank connected to one. I couldn't work out all the details, but if you look at many LFS and LPS you will see they are all interconnected to one large sump.

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
you can run a sump on multiple tanks but as what happens in some shops is if you do when one tank gets ill the whole lot may, and thats a lot of water to treat. I would also think unless your keeping many fish with same water params you would be stressing some of your fish? Am I wrong in that.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I have 11 tanks in one system. It has never had a disease outbreak (it has been up ~15 years), but I am very careful with QT - just exactly as I am with stand-alone tanks. QT has nothing to do with the filtration technique used, everything to do with protecting your existing fish from introduced disease and clearing any existing problems that come in with new fish before they go into their permanent homes.

Rainbows breed, Cichlids breed, catfish breed, plants grow and multiply - why would I want to do water water mods? The system is tap water. But obviously you cannot do water mods on a central system unless it is done to the whole system.

OxyBomb

AC Members
Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
I asked becuase I am making plans for starting my own fish/reptile shop. It will probly be in a year or 2 the soonest. I want to put like 3-4 (like have sump on bottom and all the tanks going up as fish on it, and run the sump with plants in it and sell those or something) tanks per sump. and have shut off valves and such. I want to start a really good fish shop. so for now its just planning.

and on the side note I got one of the dragon head eels. such a cool looking bugger.

Last edited:

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Central systems are notorious for spreading disease without prior QT of all residents. Consider both micron-level filtration and UV of the retuns to the tanks to reduce the possibility of explosive disease outbreak in a commercial situation.

OxyBomb

AC Members
Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by RTR
Central systems are notorious for spreading disease without prior QT of all residents. Consider both micron-level filtration and UV of the retuns to the tanks to reduce the possibility of explosive disease outbreak in a commercial situation.

ok that sounds good. I had this idea for shut off valves to contain them. I dont know if that will help out alot or what, but thats what I got for now.

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
the shutoff valve would be nice for other things but in my thoughts almost useless for disease control remember that water has been filtering for some time has contaminated the whole system already by the time you see the first sick fish. Imagine, humans being sick you were exposed to the sick person 1,2, 3 days or weeks ago so you don't necessarily know who got you sick.

I tknk the shut off is nice for locking the tank out of system due to mainantce things like leaks or other things.

Before when I was talking water modifications, I was thinking adjusting the params to what the various fish want. I know most of us in FW use tap water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store