Parasite ID please....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joe schmoe

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
Whatever this is, has been a thorn in my side for months. Any affected fish loses it's appetite, then loses it's balance, then dies. The whole process usually takes 3 or 4 days. It's been picking off a fish or two here and there...but something must have happened in the past few days to cause about 6 fish to get it. The only thing I've done recently was a large prune back of my plants. I don't get it...but maybe you folks have some ideas.

Pics can be clicked on for full-resolution close-ups.

PS. Since I really don't want that Gourami to die, I'm going to post this to a couple of other boards, so don't be suprised to see it elsewhere....and thanks for your help. Treament options would be nice too.

Last edited:

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Aww. Poor fishies. I think its some sort of anchor worm. Hard to ID for sure (to me at least), besides they are all very similar.

I dont know how much help this link is, because I dont think most of the things mentioned are commonly available, but:
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=4006090712&f=6806023812&m=4596071824

Also, they were probably introduced through a fish when you bought it. It went unnoticed for awhile, then spread through the fish. Or, if you feed live food, it may have come from that.

What I would do is:

Get something like Pepso food. Feed it to the fish as per the instructions. It gets at the parasites from the inside out. Also, get a jar of minced garlic. Soak any food you feed them (other than the Pepso food which is obviously already treated) in the juice of the garlic. Garlic is an appetite stimulant and will help kill parasites too, both of which are good things.

Then, get some sort of medicine and treat the entire tank. I've used Jungles Internal Parasite Guard before with success (on rainbowfish).

Meanwhile, entice them with their favorite foods (soaked in garlic) to get them some nutrition and help to boost their immune system.

Good luck:( Hopefully someone else can better help.

BTW. great pics of the problem.

joe schmoe

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
Thanks Leopardess for pointing me in the right direction.

OK...I'm beginning to get a little desparate. More fish are showing signs of it and neither the local Petsmart nor a LFS had any worm/parasite meds or anything that contained the chemicals mentioned in that link. An online source is not an option...it only takes a couple days to kill the fish. So I need something that can be readily found...quick.

ANYONE??

EDIT: after doing some reading, the garlic may itself be a cure. I was hesitant to use it becuase the fish don't eat when they get this. There was a Garlic food for discus at Petsmart. I'll go back a buy that...but I'm not sure how effective that's gonna be if the fish wont eat.

EDIT EDIT: I'm gonna try to find some of this. It will be a drive but we'll see.

Last edited:

TPIRman

Fishkeeping Yellow Belt
Mar 5, 2004
New York, NY
Visit site
I would heartily recommend that you take Leopardess' advice and soak your fishes' current food in garlic rather than getting new food. This way you can be sure that plenty of garlic is getting into the food rather than guessing at what is in the discus food. Also, I have no hard evidence to back this up, but it would seem to me that the soak method would result in a fresher garlic aroma that would be more enticing to the fish -- an important consideration given their less-than-normal appetite.

I wouldn't rule out online suppliers if you can't find what you want locally. While this infection might normally take its course in a couple days, you will likely be slowing it down with the garlic and pepso (if you don't eliminate it entirely). So you're buying yourself some time with the treatment. If you strike out at local stores, I would order what you want from Drs. Foster and Smith ASAP, and have it express shipped (if you can afford it). The reason I say this is that if you're still in dire straits a few days from now, you will be kicking yourself for not ordering earlier, when you had the chance. Try to keep thinking long-term even though the situation seems desperate right now.

The only other advice I can give is to take a deep breath, and reread Leopardess' original post. It seems like in your panic you might have read too quickly (understandable, of course), and missed some of what she told you. She has solid advice to give -- I know, because she helped me save one of my fishes from an infection! :)

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
<pinches TPIRman's cheeks> What a schweethat.

Yah, I would try to find some of that Parasite Guard. Even if you have to order some sort of online med - it can save some of your future fish at least. Say only 8 of your fish have it right now (maybe it's too late to help them), well, if you order the meds now, it might be there in time to help out the other fish that may develope it soon.

Some people will say that it's useless to treat the water when dealing with internal parasites because they're, well, internal. I think it's worth a shot - heck the fish live in and absorb the water. Plus, for anal worms that hang out, swishing around in medicated water must have some sort of negative affect on them.

You may want to check the Discus food to see what is in it. I'm not exactly sure which ingredients in Pepso food are the *ones* that kill the parasites, but if you could get a list of them (one of Jungle's sites must list them), you could compare it to the discus food?

Also, I might as well stick this here. A lot of people have asked about what Pepso food is like and how big it is, etc. I'll include a picture of how small it is. Tetras will eat it, gouramis, rainbowfish, rasboras, etc. It's virtually useless for larger fish and things like otos. For them, soak zucchini or algae wafers in the garlic.

Good luck and let us know how things go!

***EDIT****
Oh, this is a post from Avalon at Myfishtank. It may be of some help to you (again, not sure about availability).

It's very common to have worms that hang from the fish's anus. This is one sign that you are dealing with a serious case. Unlike the post about internal parasites, which is meant as a general and safe introduction to begin, this is one case where you will have to deviate from the "simple" treatments I previously mentioned.

Unfortunately, metro will not help you much here. I will refer a few medications for you to use, but you must keep in mind that with the exception of two, I have no experience with them. I've only heard that they will work and that I do not know the dosages and/or treatment regimine. Use at your own risk. Better yet, call a vet.

Piperazine: also known as pipzine, this med is found in most dog/cat de-worming medications. This med was initially recommended by the owner of a LFS I trust. He uses it and recommends it to discus owners to cure IP's. If found in the liquid form over-the-counter, you can soak you food in it and feed it to your fish. I've use it a few times, but not enough to tell if it worked because my infected fish didn't eat it. My healthy convicts readily ate food treated with it without any negative effects.

Praziquantal: also commonly known as "prazi." This appears to be very popular with discus owners. I've seen information about this med @ www.simplydiscus.com

Panacur(?): from what I've gathered, this is a heavy duty med that should only be administered through food only and never the water column. Rumor has it that it's very effective for stomach worms. Use at your own risk.

Levamisole: This is a very safe and very effective medicine for internal parasites, but I'm unsure of it's effectiveness against worms. Levamisol ranks up there with metro in overall effectiveness, but it's very, very hard to find without a prescription from a vet.

I'll see what else I can find.

Here's another awesome link. I believe they list some sources,too? They talk about garlic and why it may help. The only I'll change offhand is that Pepso food and Jungle's meds are *not* worthless. I've used them exclusively besides garlic to treat infections and they've worked. Though, as I said, he was dealing with large cichlids and the food is too small for them.
http://myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13065

Sorry the links aren't from here. I'm more familiar with that site.

pepso food.jpg

Last edited:

joe schmoe

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
Well...sucess...somewhat. I found a couple places that have Discomed. I cleaned one store out of it...and left the 2nd store with it's supply. If necessary, I'll head back and purchase. I wasn't able to find Internal Parasite Guard.

I also found some Garlic Guard from Seachem. I got home and soaked some freeze-dried tubifex in a solution of one capsule of Discomed, and one capful of Garlic Guard. I left the food in there for an hour and fed it. Luckily, most of the fish ate. The exceptions were one Dwarf Rainbow who may be too far gone to save, and all of the L. brevis (yes, I realize they are an anomaly in a tank like this ;) ) Everything else pigged out. Later, I found that in my haste to get things going, I over diluted the Discomed (I used ~8oz of water rather than the 2oz recommended) - a dumb mistake that I wont repeat. Tomorrow it will be done correctly.

One thing I'm trying to think about is a dosage to do the entire tank. The instructions on the back of the Discomed pkg. only address food soaking. Anyone have any ideas on that?? And thanks so far.

Last edited:

joe schmoe

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
The second dose with the correct dilution was much less popular with the fish. Many didn't eat much...and those that tried were spitting the food out. I think I'll skip a day of feeding to make them a little more anxious to eat.

I'll keep you folks updated.

joe schmoe

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
Update...the Dwarf Rainbow that wasn't eating died. Before I knew it he was pretty much completey eaten by the other fish. Not a good thing, but what can you do.

I've skipped the treatments for a couple of days. They're gone from a couple fish, and diminished in the rest. I'm gonna do treatments for the next few days and see how that goes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store