For Anyone Who Uses Salt-NaCl

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Must4ng s4lly

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
Houston
Visit site
I want to set the record straight in the use of salt and the "types" of salt used in aquariums.

My husband works in the salt industry and is national sales manager for a salt co in the US.

Salt is salt is Salt! Kosher salt is the same as table salt is the same as Rock salt is the same as any other salt (just diff shapes). All the salt sold nationwide from his company goes through the same process as the Kosher salt. The Rabbi comes twice a year to check out the process - the only diff.

If you have ever bought the store brand salt at the grocery store, chances are you have purchased my husband's company's salt.

All salt is the compound NaCl. It's all the same except some has dietary iodine added and some does not...

So please do not waste $$$$ on Expensive salt.... when it is all the same.

I use my hubby's leftover salt samples in my aquarium - sometimes is table salt, sometimes rock salt, sometimes water softening pellets made of salt... it's all the same thing :)

Last edited:

FastFish

AC Members
Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Incorrect. Salt is not salt; there are thousands of salts. "Table" salt is primarily NaCl, but also contains (according to package I am reading) potassium salts, iodides, silicates, and carbonates (as well as a sugar additive). This might work as a medicinal purpose, or even for brackish setups (depending). It is highly inappropriate for many other purposes, including freshwater setups like African Rift Lakes. The salinity in Lakes Tanganyika and Malawi contains more calcium than sodium or potassium. For these, commercial salt mixes with the proper ratio of cations are necessary.

Edited to add: Also, alkalinity is a key issue - bicarbonates and carbonates replace chlorides in hardwater, alkaline lakes; plain old NaCl has no buffering capacity. This would be relevant especially in Rift Lake setups.

Last edited:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Brackish and marine tanks need Marine salt mixes that contain more than just salt in them. But table salt is fine for medicating freshwater tanks.

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
A salt is an inorganic crystal.

Table salt is NaCl, period. Some Iodide is added to keep people who don't live on coasts from getting goiters. Now that seafood is fairly easy to come by anywhere, this isn't such an issue. The rest of the stuff are likely tag alongs from the refinement process and combined probably makeup less than 1%.

I think that what Must4ng s4lly was talking about had to do with adding a bit of salt to fw tanks to make them healthier. In that respect, she's completely right. I just bought a lifetime supply of NaCl (unfortunately I wanted KCl) in the form of water softener, 20kg for $4CDN. Beats the extra money for 'aquarium salt'.

But, as others have pointed out, if you're looking for a particular setup, i.e. marine or rift, then you need the proper mix.

FastFish, you've used alkalinity and hardness in two different meanings, if I read correctly. True, Cl has no buffering capacity. But the typical meaning of 'hard' water refers to Ca and Mg, not to the anionic species. Whether the Ca came from CaCl2 or from CaCO3 makes no difference to 'water hardness' but a world of difference to alkalinity. But I'm picking on semantics.

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
for gravel for my next tank, im just going to go to a crappy parkinglot and shoevel some gravel into my pick up and dump it in the tank because rocks are rocks! its all the same!

schiejr

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
I think happychem presents the best view on the matter. One question though, is the added iodide ( which is the type we are not supposed to use) harmful to the fish or not in the concentration present?

Hans, I hate to encourage wise guys but I cannot help it this time:laugh:

Last edited:

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
I don't know enough about fish to say whether or not the iodine in the salt would cause harm. My instict would be to say that since the 'natural' source of nutritional iodine is seafood, i.e. fish, that it wouldn't cause any harm, certainly not in the low conc. you'd be adding. But then again, see point 1.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store