ADF white head and cloudy eyes?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tetratastic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
Nor Cal
Visit site
I have two ADF's in a 2.5 hex, my Ph is in the low 7's, temp is in the mid 70's. I've had both for about three years now. They were originally given to me in a little aquababies 'tank' as a gift and immediately got them the larger tank. They've lived happily all this time, but one now has cloudy eyes and the whole head area is also white-ish.

I thought at first it was just shedding, but it has been about a month w/o shedding or any spread of the 'white-ness'. I was worried that it might be a fungus, but the other frog is completely uneffected. Also the afflicted frog has not changed any habits and otherwise appears healthy.

Should I be worried about this? Is it possible that this is just a slow shed? I've seen both frogs shed before and it didn't really look like this. I'm hesitant to medicate as frogs can be more sensitive to toxins. My mother suggested maybe it was just 'getting on in years'. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I'm at a total loss here! Thanks for your help!

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Hi,

I would not suspect that it is a slow shed. Not after that much time. The skin would have rubbed off on its own by now if it had been "loose" if you will.

I would think about it being a bacterial infection. But it is hard to tell. What are the nitrate readings in your tank?

Can you get a picture, that would be the most helpful, I think.

Good luck

Tetratastic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
Nor Cal
Visit site
I didn't think it would be a slow shed either, I was just hoping beyond hope I guess. I've included two pics, one with the unaffected frog so you can see the difference in the eyes.

I don't have a nitrate reading, I misplaced some of my things during a recent move and haven't yet located the testing kit. I have however been using Amquel+ as a water treatment (I had an algae problem in my other tank and the LFS suggested it over the old stuff as it cut down on nitrates as well as chlorine) with every water change, so I wouldn't think nitrates could be the culprit - though I could be wrong.

mvc-036f.jpg

Tetratastic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
Nor Cal
Visit site
If it is a bacterial infection, what course of action should I take to medicate? Is there a particular product specifically for frogs or should I use medicine for a 'fish' tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store