Compatability of Bettas & African Dwarf Frogs...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mt_marcy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering exactly how well a male Betta and a Dwarf African Frog would get along together in a 2 gallon Explorer tank? I had a Betta for about three years alone in that tank, and he died of old age a month or so ago, and now I'm thinking of getting another Betta, but a African Dwarf frog as well...I've heard from others that they may make suitable tank mates, and I just wanted to hear all of your opinions on thier compatability. Thanks,
mt_marcy!

snafu

AC Members
I think a lot of that depends on the personality (or fishionality) of the betta. I have one male betta with three africans in a 10 gallon with no problems, but they have lots of hiding places. I also discovered Betta food and frog pellets have the same ingredients....

Tetratastic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
Nor Cal
Visit site
I've heard some people that swear by betta/ADF pairings and some that strongly disagree with the match up.

I agree with snafu that 'fishionality' plays a big part, and that hiding places help. One thing to take into consideration also is that your betta's ideal water parameters are a little different than your frog's (frogs prefer higher Ph in most cases). Also ADFs absorb things out of the water through their skin so caution should be taken when introducing medication or other additives that the fish can tolerate and the frog may not.

I keep my frogs separate just for sake of ease, but I don't see a problem as long as you go into it knowing you may have to make some adjustments for the frog.

Good luck though with whatever you finally decide! :)

mt_marcy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
thanks for the advice/opinions so far....So by hiding places I'm asuming this would be through plants? Are there any good sites on/about African Dwarf Frogs? I already know about Bettas, and also where to find good info on them, but am not to knowedable yet on the African Dwarf Frogs, and am interested in learning all I can about them, before I decide to get one....Thanks agian,
mt_marcy!

Tetratastic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
Nor Cal
Visit site
Here is a great site:

http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/mypets/dwarfs.html

As far as hiding places go plants are good, but actual objects they can hide in/under are better. I bought a piece of driftwood that has a piece of slate screwed to the bottom and some large smooth stones - I unscrewed the slate and propped it up at an angle with the stones. This makes a perfect nook for the little guys, it's like their very own covered porch. I also piled more of the stones around the tank and they will hide under and around them as well. (I used the wood in my 10gal, but if you get a small enough piece for you 2gal they'd love it too I'm sure).

Take care though when setting up these hiding spots. ADFs are very active at times, uprooting plants and knocking things about. Make sure that anything propped up is done so that no frogs get crushed or trapped as they will drown.

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Abbotsford, BC. Canada Eh?
Visit site
ADF's really cant see worth the dickens. They rely on smell more then anything, but he more then likely thinks its food, just because its sitting there waving in front of him and is not quite exactly WHAT it is, so why not just bite it?? LOL

snafu

AC Members
The ADFs like the algae wafers I put in for the Pl*co. The frogs will cover the wafer with their body when he comes around, and stay there till they get enough to eat.
Kinda funny because he is four times their size.

brookelyn

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
I agree with what snafu said about it being totally up to the betta's personality. Some enjoy company, others do not.

Do make sure, however, when you get the dwarf frog that you avoid the clawed kind.

Best of luck to you. I hope your betta likes the company! :)

missymoo

AC Members
Jan 17, 2004
Visit site
i have had a daf with a betta with no trouble and i have a friend with them both in a little 2.5 gal with no problems....i don't agree with size of the tank but they get along

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store