how do i lower nitrates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stunt 101

1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish
Feb 18, 2004
Northern VA
Visit site
my 29 gallon tank is still a partially cloudy and the nitrates are pushing the extreme for safe, i recently purchased some anacharis to try and get rid of both of these but it didnt help (after 2-3 days) how can i lower my nitrates and reduced the cloudyness of the water?
thanx

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Agreed with Hans, goldfish don't belong in your tank. They are temperate fish, not tropical... and they produce a lot of waste. For 2 fully grown goldfish, I typically recommend a 55 gallon tank with lots of filtration. I'd also look at moving your pleco to a larger tank as well... that will outgrow your tank.

Other than that, increase your water changes, and reduce your feedings, and that should help lower your nitrate levels. My tanks usually got two 50% water changes in a row at least once every 1-2 months which helps bring nitrate levels down to undetectable levels. Then from there, I do 50% water changes once a week. My FO tanks rarely have nitrate levels over 10ppm... but then again, I feed lightly, and my tanks are very lightly stocked.

HTH
-Richer

stunt 101

1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish
Feb 18, 2004
Northern VA
Visit site
yes yes i know I have been trying to find a friend with an outdoor pond for a month for the 2 goldfish. and i am planning on finding and setting up a 55 gallon african cichlid tank that the pleco will go in if it would work out. thank you for all of the info and I will try more water changes more frequently.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store