I think I just bought some *very* expensive feeders...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Geeky1

AC Members
Aug 18, 2003
California
Visit site
Expensive as far as feeder animals go, anyhow. My sister caught some minnows in a local creek, and since she's actually shown some interest in them, and her birthday is coming up, I figured I'd try and get her interested in fishkeeping...

I went out and bought her a small tank (like 1-1.5g), gravel, and plants. I also bought some Ghost Shrimp. She liked everything but the shrimp. She thinks they're gross. I told her that they'd give her a manicure, but she wasn't impressed. She also wasn't impressed by the fact that since they're clear, you can tell what they've been eating by the color of their stomach.

Soooo they're going to end up in my tank. Which has a 4 or 5" Arowana in it. Somehow, I think the Arowana will be very happy to... err... "meet" the shrimp. He may even invite them over for dinner... Unfortunately, I don't think the shrimp are going to be quite as thrilled to see him as he'll be to see them... :shake: :laugh: :laugh:

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
maybe try to convince your sister to let you keep the shrimp in her tank until you can find another home for them?

i dont think she would like to see them die?

has she seen finding nemo? the french shrimp is the best!

anywho, 1.5 gallon is really small to accomodate both minnows and shrimps. they should go, but back to the pet store would be better.

:)
-Diana

Geeky1

AC Members
Aug 18, 2003
California
Visit site
Well, I just stuck them in my tank about 45 minutes ago. The Arowana hasn't touched them, I don't think, but the 3 Spillurum cichlids took one look and went "Mmm... sushi!". They haven't actually managed, to you know, catch any of them yet, though...

Geeky1

AC Members
Aug 18, 2003
California
Visit site
Well, just like I expected, the Arowana seems to have taken a liking to them. I don't know how many he's eaten, but I caught him trying to eat this one. I thought it was pretty funny, actually. He was swimming around the tank with this shrimp stuck in his mouth... :laugh:

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
the ghost shrimp here were like a quarter how much are they your way? I have been wondering how much a fishes price can vary from "region"

Geeky1

AC Members
Aug 18, 2003
California
Visit site
$0.79 each for hand-picked ones, $3 for 6 (I got more like 9). Out of the 6 or 9 or whatever I started with, I can now find... 2. Of course, I could only find like 4 of them when I put them in the tank, too. Dunno what happened to the other ones, because the arowana couldn't have eaten them all (his stomach is bulging as it is, since I had just fed it some brine shrimp when the thing decided to be a glutton and eat a 1" long ghost shrimp), and nothing else in the tank is big enough to have eaten them in one gulp. I guess they're just hiding, and the clear bodies are good enough for camoflauge that I can't find them all.

LuckyJGuy

Mah Fizzzi are off the Hizzi
Mar 17, 2004
New Mexico
Visit site
Hmm.. ghost shrimp are like 20 cents at the LFS down the street , those are some expensive shrimp(as compared to prices ive seen, not like 80 cents is something to trip over), hopefully the arrowana enjoys them. I know I would enjoy watching them get eaten... :)

Dragon_Lord_Tia

OH NO not Lenny
Feb 14, 2003
Orange Australia
Visit site
we pay about $3 for shrimp at out LFS but i know a guy who works their and their mark ups 500% which is huge IMO. but feeders are about 5cs each but i breed my own.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I buy them for 1.99 a dozen, ghost shrimp are sold as feeders where I shop. I have seen them other places for 80 cents though, but I have also seen LFS's that charge $.25 for pond snails out of their plant tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store