Will Plecos eat other fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

holyherbiness

Translucent Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
Just wondering
they grow pretty big, and i was kind of thinking about introducing one into my 110 gallon t hats full of small tetras and stuff
but will they feast on all the much smaller fish? 0_o

snafu

AC Members
very safe to add one
they eat detritus, algae, and mosses - algae wafers for a supplement, but in a 110, there should be plenty for it to snack on.
keep in mind they can get over 12" long....

Geeky1

AC Members
Aug 18, 2003
California
Visit site
I've never heard of a plec eating a healthy fish of any size. If a fish is dead/dying, and lying on the bottom, the Plec might eat it, but so will just about any other fish.

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
I saw a large pleco basically hoover the side of a pacu in a 100-/+ gallon tank there were only 4 occupants 2 pleco a pacu and some sort of sunfish? The Pacu kept picking on the pleco for years in this resteraunt and one day the pleco retaliated and sucked half of the scales and skin off that monster.

holyherbiness

Translucent Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
What are it's chances of engulfing poor tiny fish such as neons, flying foxes, or even my SAE? haha they grow too big, and it would probably make my tank look weird with one ginormous fish

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
IMHO, folks who stock large suckermouth catfish and tiny Tetras together don't understand a lot about stocking fish tanks. Large plecos tend to ignore small fish to the point of terrifying the tiny ones when the plecos swim by, especially while the Neons etc. are asleep, but not from trying to eat them - definitely a high-stress setup for the small fish. All the suckermouths will eat dead or dying fish, but so will the rest of tank inhabitants- and this is the most common situation in reports of plecos eating Neons.

Plecos that take up slime-sucking on larger-bodied fish tend to be malnourished, which is also a tank-keeper issue, not basically a fish issue.

All IMHO & IME - YMMV. Hold the flames, it has all been said before.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
A lot will also depend on what type of pleco you get. There are many, especially the fancier varieties, that are not primary herbivores. They need meat in their diets, and will starve without it. They'd prefer easy foods--chasing a fish down isn't easy.

The better question--what do you expect of the pleco? They are not particularly good cleaners of algae as they mature, they produce copious quantities of waste...If you like them for the cool fish they are, great, setup a tank that accomodates them. If you want a cleaner--go with a smaller herbivore like a bristlenose. Keep in mind that no fish will clean up fish waste, they all produce it.

Must4ng s4lly

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
Houston
Visit site
The reason plecos "hoover" the sides of fish is that they are desperately hungry. They require a lot of bulk in their diet. they should be fed Zuchini when they get bigger as the algae in a tank can sustain them.

Please refer to:http://www.aaquaria.com/aquasource/pleco2.shtml

I think he should be Ok in your tank if you anchor down a piece of zuchini for him a few times a week. I have a foot long plec who does very well with my little fishies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store