Setting up a 12 gallon Nano Cube

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Betty Betta

AC Members
Apr 30, 2004
Los Angeles
Visit site
Hey everybody. I'm a newbie with some questions on stocking and setting up a 12 gallon JBJ Nano Cube. http://www.jbjlighting.com/sys_nanocube.html
I plan to do a fishless cycle and add plants.

Here is the fish selection I've come up with:

1 Male Betta
3+ Dwarf Cories
6+ Neon or Cardinal Tetra
? Amano/Cherry/Tiger Shrimp

Exactly how many of each is appropriate? Should I switch out the Tetras for something else? Note that some of the space of the 12 gallons is for the built in filtration system.

What substrate do you suggest? I'll have Cories so I want something that won't hurt them, and I also want to plant some things in there, but I also want something relatively easy to maintain. I'd also like a dark color to better show off the colors of the Betta and the Tetras.

Thanks for the advice
Betty Betta

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Might be a bit on the heavily stocked side. I'd probably go with the neons, if you can find healthy stock, simpy because the cardinals get a bit larger. I'd probably go with just a betta and 6-7 pygmy cories instead. If you have that many fish, you'll need to be very good about maintenance, and I'd encourage you to have it heavily planted as well.

For substrate--sand is my favorite. Variety of colors, easy to clean, and easy to mix with fluorite/etc for a good, rich plant substrate.

Betty Betta

AC Members
Apr 30, 2004
Los Angeles
Visit site
mmmmm 'kay. how about I make the shrimp the cleanup crew and ditch the Cories for Neon Tetras.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
That would allow you to have the neons and the betta--you'll still need to be careful, but it should work. In such a small tank, you won't really be able to appreciate the schooling of the neons--they need a large open tank, but they will do just fine (once more--as long as you find healthy stock).

Betty Betta

AC Members
Apr 30, 2004
Los Angeles
Visit site
Cool! Neons it is. I do know a reputable lfs that stocks healthy neons.

Now about the shrimp. How many should I add to my little Nano to keep it clean? I'll wait until I start getting algae growth so they have something to eat.

Thanks for the help, OrionGirl.:D

Neo Sithlord

Nerf Herder
Mar 20, 2004
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Visit site
Looks like you're doing the same thing I just started. I have a 29G tank that I plan on having neons, other tetra family (in the future) , and a betta along with a bottom feeder or algea eater. It's only been up for afew hours now but they seem to be doing ok. The betta lunged at the neons when he first saw them but I'm assuming he's never seen anything other then betta's. Just a tip though. When I picked out my betta I had alot to choose from and they all seemed very healthy. I took the most agressive betta (unfortunately he was my first pick to take home.) and put him next to other bettas on the stand. I was looking for flaring (gils out fins erect) hoping to find a passive one. I rotated through all of them. I did find one that seemed more dosile then the others, he only flared ,if at all, when the other flared first. I started out in this hobby hoping to keep a peacefull community tank with a betta in it and not many "capitive" breaders if any. Neons are ,in the general opinion, very difficult to breed. So they fit my plan. The big down side to neons is they tend to be very touchy to water changes. Something that has always comes up in every thing I read about them. So having a fully cycled tank would be a big plus. I don't at this point in time but I was close :D to finishing a fishless cycle. Hope all goes well for you.
-Neo Sithlord

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I would stick to amano or ghost shrimp. They are the smallest of the shrimp for freshwater tanks. Amano are the only ones that really eat algae. The ghost are more scavengers. Look at getting close to 10 of them if the tank is well planted. Both will eat leftovers on the bottom so you don't really need to wait too long for algae build up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store