It is it cheaper to build an aquarium yourself?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dado

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Visit site
I was wondering if it is cheaper or not to build a glass aquarium yourself or buy one from a store? I would like to build a larger size aquarium such as 100 gal. Is it worth it to go through all that trouble of bulding such an aquarium yourself? Does anyone know or has experience with this and were they able to save some money? Your reply is appreciated.

Dado

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Visit site
That is what I thought. I heard from other people I know that they built some aquariums themselves, but none of them said they saved any money. I don't know anyone from whom I can buy cheap glass, so I guess I will go and buy one and save myself some trouble. ;)

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
I think if you were to be just replacing the glass and silicon you can save money but if your making a frame etc or buying a frame etc is where you spend the money

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Used

Start reading the classified ads, if you are in a large city you may find a good deal.

I have 13 tanks, 8 empty, 5 in use, 11 of these were bought used. I got one 10 gallon from Walmart new when I had a sick fish and needed a Q tank ASAP early on, before I collected so many

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store