unknown fish and possible parasite

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ryan

Finder, Filleter, and Fryer of Nemo
Aug 20, 2002
Fort Wayne, Indiana
You get all kinds of goodies in with feeders sometimes at work. This time we got a bullfrog tadpole and this fish. It is probably coldwater, but that forum gets no views, so hopefully the sticklers will look the other way.

I think its a bluegill, but im not sure in the slightest, it also has 1/16 inch black things internally and externally. I am treating with a mild malachite green medication but I am thinking about trying copper instead. Identification of either the fish or the disease would be very helpful

ryan

bluegill1.jpg

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
not a bluegill, too long and not enough color. not sure on pumpkinseeds. it does resemble some type of sunfish but it also might be some sort of cichlid. Kyle

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
It's not a pumpkinseed, but it's definately a species of sunfish.
A much clearer picture may help, try and keep the camera a little more steady. The area around the head is hard to distinguish and that's usually how you tell what species sunfish it is, by the patterns around the head.

You know what, after looking more closely I think it actually may be a pumpkinseed. Put a dark background behind the tank and then take another picture. The fish's colours are much too pale to get a good description.

As for the infection, it's bound to happen if you took awhile to return home from the place you caught it without changing any water or keeping plants in the bucket/bag.
Even with a crapload of western waterweed in the bucket I managed to have one severely infected female and lost three out of four within a week. My largest resides in a 20g by itself.

Last edited:

ryan

Finder, Filleter, and Fryer of Nemo
Aug 20, 2002
Fort Wayne, Indiana
I didnt catch it; it came in with the feeders at work. Anyways I am actualy a pretty good photographer, but my QT tank is inhabited right now so i made due with an oddly shaped acrylic display I took from work (they just throw away tons of acrylic displays, and almost all of them hold water without a problem). So it was very difficult to get eye level (floor level) to take the pics. I work at meijers btw, incase anyone was wondering.

Saddly however it died, I knew it was probably a lost cause, but im always up trying to save a near death fish.

ryan

p.s. to show im not THAT bad of a photographer, heres a sample

sev.jpg

watcher

AC Members
Nov 5, 2003
PA
Judging by the jaw line and coloration, that looks a lot like a green sunfish to me:
http://www.jonahsaquarium.com/piclepcyan1.htm

:) That's a great fish you have there. As long as keeping native fish is legal in your state, I think its a great idea.

The black spots are very familiar, my Rock Bass has them as well. I ran into an article awhile back that mentioned they were a stage of a parasite that would move on to birds next. No idea if that's the truth, although I've had my rock bass for 9 months now and the spots haven't change position or grown at all. On the other hand, he's almost 6 inches now, and he was about 3 when I caught him, so it doesn't appear to have hurt his appetite any. :D

Matt

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
Good call watcher. I've always thought that was a sort of rock bass. Looks pretty close.

What kinda tank you got that rock bass in. Is it like an Oscar? Is the water filtered?

watcher

AC Members
Nov 5, 2003
PA
Right now I keep the rock bass along with a pumpkinseed (4.5 inches) and pleco (10 inches, and stable there for the last year) in a 55 gallon tank. Filtration is an emperor 400, and the tank is moderately planted, with 120 watts of lighting overhead. The pumpkinseed and pleco are pretty easy to deal with (aside from the pleco's well known tendency to make a mess out of things), but that rock bass has no table manners at all. I've tried more than a few times to ween him off of live foods to try and get him to take frozen and flake, with no success. He just stares at the flakes for a second, and gives me this "I need real food" look. The end result is he eats a couple small feeders a day.

All in all, they're great, intelligent fish. I'd recommend these guys to anyone who has a large enough tank (I know I'll need a much larger one in a year or so, and I'm working on that!), and the willingness to have only a few fish in it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store