Fluval 404 noise

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

105man

AC Members
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
I did a media change on my Fluval 404 and can't get rid of the rattling noise it's been making since. I disconnected and reconnected it a couple of times, thinking it's some air pockets in the system. I can't tell if its a mechanical problem, like the impeller linkage, or just air pockets...and how to fix it. It was working fine until this recent change, and its only a year old.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Often, giving a noisy filter a light 'calibrated' tap on the pump will dislodge trapped air or gravel. Not beating it, just giving it a bit of a tap.

Other option--clean the pump--remove the impellers, clean out that chamber, clean off the impellers, check for stratches on the magnet, etc. More work, but they need it every now and then anyway.

dmata

AC Members
Apr 11, 2004
Sparks, NV
www.hotspotskiosks.com
same filter

I've got the same filter, not a whole lot to it that can cause noise or air pockets, make sure your intake and outflow is good. Other than that, make sure that all the mechanical pieces (All what 3 of them?) are solidly set and not rattling.

Other than that, I'd suggested a good "tap" with a small hammer or something.

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
These things are common for wearing the small plastic bushings around the shaft of the impeller. Pull the impeller out to make sure that it is solid as suggested.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store