amphibians/invertebrates for unheated tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sorrel

AC Members
May 4, 2004
Visit site
I have a small (about 5 gal), unheated tank currently housing 6 white clouds and a pile of live plants. I really want to put some non-fish critters in there but I am not sure what can live in these conditions. I am partial to African Dwarf Frogs but am starting to think I should give up on them, since I have had about 5 of them die in this tank. I am thinking it's just been too cold for them. I keep my apartment cool...indoor temp can drop to 60 overnight. (Would these temps kill ADFs? I have heard they're very hardy so if it isn't that, I am not sure what it is.) What other amphibians or invertebrates would work here? Ghost shrimp? Snails? Suggestions please!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Shrimps and snails will do better in the cooler temp than amphibians. Amphibians are ectothermic--they can not control their body temperature, but stay at the rate of their environment. For tropical critters like ADF and ACF, this means they drop to the same temp as the water does. Cooler temps reduce their digestive and immune processes, making them more vulnerable to diseases. I wouldn't encourage you to keep any of the tropical amphibians in a tank that drops below 70. Shrimps and snails are not impacted as much by slightly cooler temps, but there are some crustacean/invertebrates that you will want to avoid--crawfish would thrive at that temp, but may threaten the fish.

Traci

AC Members
Jun 27, 2003
Austin, Texas
Visit site
Is it a hex or otherwise tall? You could put a dwarf cray (Cambarellus shufeldtii) in a 5 easily. They max out at less than 1.5 inches. Can't promise that they wouldn't try to grab a white cloud, but their chance at succeeding would be slim. Justin Pierce has some availabe at coolcrayfish.com.

sorrel

AC Members
May 4, 2004
Visit site
No, it isn't a hex or a tall tank.
Ooh, a dwarf crayfish sounds interesting. I never heard of them (but I just checked it out on coolcrayfish.com.)

The fish store is getting in several types of freshwater shrimp this afternoon, so maybe I'll go see what they have...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store