Betta in a 10g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
I'm in downsizing mode. Kids are getting bigger and I need the wall space, so I'm keeping my small shoal of checker barbs (8) and taking my quarantine tank and putting it in the bedroom. I was going to add a betta. My question is, is a 10g too small for both a male and female or will the male hound the female too much?

TIA

Val

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
If you were lucky and got really mellow females I still wouldn't do more than two in a ten- I would definately not do a male and a female.

TPIRman

Fishkeeping Yellow Belt
Mar 5, 2004
New York, NY
Visit site
Are you asking about keeping the barbs in a 10G tank with a betta, or is the betta tank something separate from the barbs? I ask because barbs are typically not great tankmates for long-finned fish like a betta -- nipping could be a problem.

If it's just the betta in the 10G, I still think you'll save yourself some potential headaches if you just stick with one.

alphabetta

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
Kansas
Visit site
you could do 3 or 4 females in a 10. Two is not a good number for female bettas as they have a pecking order and if there is only one nondominant female, she gets all the picking, so she has it pretty rough. Get 3 or more and the pecking is spread out. Still gotta watch em at first though, bettas being bettas, unpredictable personalities and all.

I wouldnt put a male and female in a 10 gallon either, but I've heard of ppl who claim they have and had good results, not sure if I believe it or not.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
To personify things, no I wouldn't add any combination of bettas (male or female) in a 10 gallon. I doubt I would do so in a 30 gallon. They just fight too much, but as someone says sometimes you will get lucky with a mellow pair. Anyway, I wouldn't try it out in a 10 gallon. :shake:

Lazersniper

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
WI
Visit site
The only time would I ever put a male and a female in a ten gallon is to attempt to mate them. Just from the reaction during this I would highly not recamend puttin both in such a small tank. I've heard of people putting them together in a community tank, but most of the time it's a very large tank with a lot of places for the female to hide. Also just another bit of info, according to my research on the fish, males usually are only capable of breeding within the first year and a half of their life so if you have an older betta... all it's doing is wishing it could mate, or trying to attack the female. (in case you do put them in and the male is going after the female)

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Thanks for the replies.

To clarify, both the barbs and the male betta will be in the one tank. I feel female bettas are just as stunning as the males, in their own way. In my first 55g tank, I had a male and female betta, and she was one of my favorites. I've wanted to have a pair since then. But, I guess I'll hold off for now.

As for barbs nipping at bettas, I've had checkers for years with bettas, gouramis and even paradise fish, and they've never caused any problems. Of course, that was always in my 55g tank, and this will be smaller.

Val

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store