filtering a 46 gallon bowfront tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jujubee

AC Members
Apr 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
what filter(s) for a 46 gallon bowfront tank

What kind of filtration would you recommend on a 46 gallon bowfront? Would a HOB filter be enough or would i need a canister filter? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

TonyN

AC Members
Mar 31, 2004
Connecticut
Visit site
Well, I would go with the cannister. I'm sure a large Emporer HOB would do the job, but if you're going to play with CO2 later, then the HOB creates a lot of surface movement and its a real pain. Plus I think the cannister makes a neater setup. You can hide the cannister and you dont have a big black thing hanging on the back of your tank.
I started out with an Emporer HOB, and it did the job, but I eventually switched over to a cannister (Eheim Ecco), and I'm much happier with it.
Also with a cannister you have a lot more choices as to types of media you can use.
Good Luck with whatever you decide.

greenterrorrr

AC Members
Jul 6, 2001
I would go with a canister. I think they are easier to maintain and cheaper in the long run. Also I like the way you can hide them.

TonyN

AC Members
Mar 31, 2004
Connecticut
Visit site
No, I wouldn't do that. You want the water to pass through some mechanical filter before reaching the bio-filtration.
You could use both HOB & Cannister, but have mechanical and bio in both.

750t

AC Members
May 24, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
Yes you could. I use a filter max pre- filter on the intake of a cannister this keeps the big stuff from entering your filter. Just rinse out the pre-filter once a a week. This should allow to run your cannister for months without cleaning. Then you could use something like an aqua-clear 300 for just mech filteration. I suggest one sponge and some filter floss and youll have crystal clear water. Oh yea as far as cannisters I would recommend a filstar xp-2 or a eheim model 2213 both are quality filters. the filter max pre-filter is avail at www. petsolutions.com. Some people just cut a sponge to fit the intake I prefer the filter max it looks a little better imo and really dosnt cost that much. Good luck Tim

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
For a non-planted tank, I'd suggest using a mid-size HOB filter, and a small-mid sized canister filter. Stuff the HOB filter with sponges and/or filter floss. Clean that filter out often. Stuff the canister with as much biomedia as you can, and over the intake with a prefilter. As said by 750t, filter max prefilters will do well. I believe the filtermax 3 is the popular choice. Prefilters prevent most debri from entering your canister. Clean out this prefilter at least once a week. Depending on bioload, clean the canister once every few months. What I would use is an Aquaclear 300, and a Filstar xP 2/3.

For a planted tank, two small-mid sized canisters will do fine. Once again, cover the intakes with pre-filters, and stuff those things with as much biomedia as possible. Clean out those prefilters at least once a week, and the canisters once every few months. I would probably go with 2 Filstar xP 2s.

Just a reminder though, there's generally no such thing as too much filtration. As long as your fish can handle the current produced by the filters, more filters is generally a good thing. All of my tanks have multiple filters on them. Each filter acts like a failsafe for the other filters in the tank. If one should fail, the other filters can pick up the slack until I can replace/fix the failed filter. I can also clean out my filters on a rotating timetable, which will minimize any small chance that I might accidently kill off too much bacteria (this is unlikely to happen though). My 66 gallon malawi tank has 4 occupants in it... but it has enough filtration to run a decently stocked tank of nearly two times its size (2 AC300s, 1 Fluval 404). My planted tank has one Eheim 2026, and one Fluval 404 on it. I would have more, but my angels probably wouldn't like it too much.

HTH
-Richer

jujubee

AC Members
Apr 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
So I just went to the store and bought the 46 gallon bowfront. They were offering like a package deal with like fake plants, gravel, filter, heater, and some other stuff. The filter it came with was an Emporer 280 biowheel. Is this a good filter? Also, would it be necessary to use a canister along with this filter and if so which one would you recommend? Thanks.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
It really depends on what you plan on keeping in the tank. But adding a small fluval wouldn't be a bad idea. Most people overstock there tanks without even realizing it so extra filtering power is a good idea.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
With just an Emporer 280 on the tank, I would only stock that tank with a light bioload. Personally, I would invest in either one more Emporer 280, or buy a small-mid size canister. Like TKOS said, having lots of filtration on a tank is always a good idea.

HTH
-Richer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store