Fish that are NOT reef safe...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Thought this list might be useful. Post a fish or critter that might be considered reef safe, especially if you have specific experience with the animal in question. Do list why you consider the animal a threat to a reef setup. For example, no need to list clown triggers or parrot fish, but some of the larger angels can work under some circumstances. This is for the borderline cases.

Camel shrimp--target polyps and zoanthids. Leave sponges and other motile inverts alone.

Engineer goby--digs tunnels under rock work and can easily topple live rock and corals. Tends to bury sessile invertebrates that are on the sand bed or lower portions of the tank. If live rock is on a stable platform, can be accomodated.

Large hermit crabs--tend to knock over corals and rocks, can kill a fish that's ailing.

Octopus--safe with sessile inverts, but primary predator on motile inverts and small fish.

RothChyld

AC Members
Feb 16, 2003
Tampa, FL
www.cboss.com
I can sure make this a long post but here are some hilights that stand out:

Maroon clown - reef safe but loves to topple rocks and corals around its home. If I had to do it over I wouldn't get this guy as he gets too big and moves big things.

Clown Wrasse - Ate my snails when he felt like it. Left corals alone.

Fish in my reef that are good IMHO: Green Chromis, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny (a must), Sandsifting Goby (a must), blue tangs, yellow tangs, Mandarin (only in established tank), and Bar Gobies.

Mike

liquafaction

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Hermits- Even the small ones, attack any snail in my tank they can get there little claws on.

convict blenny- Pretty harmles, but will tunnel out live sand, undtill everything caves in.

Little gold damsel (can't remember name) tormented my big naso tang untill it died. I even tried to catch it, and relocate it (damsel), but that booger figured that game out quick, and made it even more agressive.

zog

AC Members
Dec 7, 2004
I have a maroon clownfish that moved into my pulse coral as though it were an anemone, but after several days it began to violently tear off the polyps. I have relocated the clownfish to my FOWLR tank. I have also noticed that large adult Mexican Turbo snails can be quite destructive and annoying by pushing things around and knocking corals over.

CHIMERA26

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
Solandri Puffer Made Mistake Lfs Said Would Be Ok With My Shrimp And Crustaceans Within 4 Days Had Munched Over Half The Population Of Them

Lexus9903

AC Members
Feb 10, 2005
Alaska!
Coral Beauty

My coral beauty has a taste for polyps and also mushrooms.. Hes so territorial, he (the same as the maroon clowns discussed earlier) will destroy anything that is in "his" space.

lexi

pumpkin

Registered Member
Apr 2, 2005
had a maroon clown that push anything he didn't like away from his house and some of the rocks were quite large he was very persistent and my sally lites as they grow are showing a taste for my hairy shrooms

DansMarineTank

This ship is England!
Dec 13, 2004
Ipswich (UK)
Hi Guys

I think we can add Lionfish to this list for a couple of reasons

1. They dont get on too well with bright lights, i think drawf lions can go blind under halides
2. They create a grate deal of waste - corals dont like poop!

Apart from this they are great fish! non aggresive majestic swimmers, very attractive

Bigwerty

Registered Member
Jun 6, 2006
Ray Pollett said:
Interesting. I have them in about 10 reef tanks and have never seen that trait. Shows how fish do not always do the same thing, kinda like people.

Ray
Hi,
I had maroon clowns and one of them killed 3 anemones in my aquarium by pulling out their tentacles. So...
chernyakvadym@hotmail.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store