Books

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Galant

Registered Member
May 5, 2004
groups.msn.com
Again, I'm only just coming back to the aquarium scene after about 5 or 6 years.

I'm wondering if any of you wonderful people can recommend any great reading/resources to own or look up.

There used to be a great Eyewitness book that was comprehensive on fish and beautifully layed out.

But what's new?

And if any of you have been around that long - I'm sure some of you have - what are the major changes/advances that have come about?

:)

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
I found an awesomely inclusive book of fish profiles called Aquarium Atlas by Baensch but after purchasing volume 3, I realized they are not updated, just added to so now I need volume 1 and 2 and hopefully 4-6 are translated soon (unless you can read german). they have great pictures and a wealth of info on each fish although the common names aren't used much but it does have some. It even has pictures of their natural habitat in some cases. Kyle

schiejr

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
Yeah, Baensch is nice. Most of the stuff by Barrons and Tetra is good. I avoid TFH stuff for the most part-there are a few good ones here and there-but they put new covers on a lot of old retreads that are not worth the money.

kikuchiyo

Shogun
May 9, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
I can't remember the author (perhaps Levine?), but The Complete Fishkeeper's Guide was the best general book on aquaria I've ever read. I think it's currently out of print, but it's defintely worth trying to find.

I just read Bailey and Burgess' Fishlopedia. It's kind of old and certainly not as attractive as the Fishkeeper's Guide (which would make a great coffee table book), but the format allows for a lot of easily accessible info.

Edit: It is The Fishkeeper's Guide by Levine. Great book, I went ahead and ordered a used copy online (Amazon seems to have several, I got the last one from Alibris).

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store