My new tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Deniz

AC Members
Jul 30, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
Gday

I finally got and setup my new 140 gallon tank smackbang in the middle of our living room. Now it seems as if we're the guests in the fish room :p

Now I have a footlong pleco gibby that came with the tank, and my fiance wants me to keep it. I have my 2 oscars as well.

Should I think of adding maybe 1 or 2 more fish or is this enough? And if so, what might look good and suit the temperament of the fish in the tank now?

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
I personally don't think you're too heavily stocked. is this a breeding pair of oscars or just a couple individuals? I think Jack Dempsey's are a good addition and fairly colorful as well. Maybe something like a few tinfoil barbs or a couple bala sharks? never actually kept these fish, yet, but someday (fingers crossed). Kyle

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
nope, oscars are south american and require softwater and electric yellows are from lake malawi in africa and have hardwater requirements. It's not recommended by anyone I've talked to to mix cichlids from different places. they usually end up killing eachother if they survive the water. oscars are considered fairly laid back cichlids and should have similar tankmates. Maybe you should just add some more cichlids? maybe a couple other large catfish? pacu's can also be descent with oscars from what I've seen and heard but some of those can get WAY too large for your tank. Kyle

Deniz

AC Members
Jul 30, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
Ideally what I'm after is something colourful, medium sized (6 inches max) and can look after themselves in a tank with large oscars without having their fins torn to shreds or worse and it has to be (preferably) a mid or top level swimmer.

Also, I have a few kuhli loaches, could I add them in, would they survive it?

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
not really colorful (depending on your taste) but a school of giant danio's would look great in there and give the oscars something to chase possibly. More colorful would be boesmani rainbows but I'm not real sure how or if they would coexist with the oscars. I'm not much help on the loaches either. where are you located? bluegill sunfish would be a very cheap (prettymuch free) fish about that size with lots of color and I don't believe they would be considered aggressive in relation to most cichlids. Kyle

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
khuli loaches!? :laugh: i'm sorry but you mean those little wormy looking ones? no way!

oscars would slurp those up as a pre-appetizer.

or if you mean clown loaches.... then possibly. large show-size clowns might be okay with an oscar.

what about larger new-worlds?

or if you want the oscars to really stand out... i would go with some sort of schooling fish. tinfoil barbs would be neat.... you want something large.

HTH
-Diana ;)

Deniz

AC Members
Jul 30, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
I agree oscars would slurp down kuhli loaches like a schoolie slurping down tequila shots at cancun...

But the loaches are the fastest swimming fish I know of, also, there is plenty of hiding spots and ALSO, they are NOCTURNAL. They hide during the day and come out to feed when the oscars are snoozing.

Think about it...

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
Originally posted by Deniz
But the loaches are the fastest swimming fish I know of, also, there is plenty of hiding spots and ALSO, they are NOCTURNAL. They hide during the day and come out to feed when the oscars are snoozing.
My khuli loaches are new to the tank and even they are cruising the tank during the day. My understanding is that they adapt to aquarium life and lose some of that nocturnal instinct. they are fast but I could easily see a determined fish catching them.

Tom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store